Thursday, April 10, 2008

Silly Nature

Song stuck in my head: Some bass line Trent tried to get me to play ages ago. (but with a better beat)

So I was walking to the bus stop this morning and I heard this sound that sort of reminded me of the sound an old German MG-42 in short bursts. It turned out it was (or least what I think was) a Red Shafted Northern Flicker Woodpecker. It was sitting on top of light in the Co-Op that I am staying in. It was a crisp morning and no doubt the bird found the flat box top of the light a warm place to rest. And where there is warmth there will also be insects to eat. Right? Wrong in this case, obviously, but tell that to the woodpecker. Its mate was on the telephone poll trying its luck there, but I suspect it may have been eyeballing the transformers as well.
A pretty good example ho human domination over the environment just isn't good for the planet's other inhabitants.


1 Comments:

Blogger Magnus said...

My Dad was told by a bird watching friend of his that what I witnessed may have been a mating call. Apparently the makes look for something loud to attract the female. Aluminum siding and sheeting does quite nicely.

10 April, 2008 23:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home