Sunday, April 06, 2008

Food and Booze

CD in Play: Tortoise, Standards

Partly inspired by the Potlikker blog and just by other stuff happening in my life, I have been experimenting a bit in the kitchen. I'm staying with my Dad until I move to Saskatoon in a couple of months. My ex-landlady claimed to be allergic to garlic and would complain that my cooking with it was causing her asthma to flare up. So, basically, I haven't been able to cook with garlic much over the past while and am catching up.
Tomorrow my Dad plans to cook black cod (which is actually sablefish in this case) so I have been helping him to figure out different ways of cooking it. I think we may sear it and then cook it in either sherry or saki mixed with a commercial manuka honey that I picked up. For salt, my Dad is leaning towards soya sauce, but I am not so sure. Maybe tamari, but I think I'd rather rub the fish in kosher salt or something like that.
Also at some point I plan to soak pearl onions in port. If I can get fresh figs I may just soak those in wine. I also want to take some meat and marinate it in a martini. I did this 10 years ago and it goes great with items for the BBQ. (steak and lamb in particular) For one steak I used approximately 2 ounces gin (preferably one with fragrant botanicals) and then used a liberal amount of vermouth, maybe an ounce in its own right. I like "bruised" martinis* so I also use and ounce or two of olive brine. Marinate overnight and barbecue the next day. Friends might remember this as "Martini'd Beef".
It just occurred to me that you could probably do variations such as "Gibson Chicken" and use the brine from pickled onions. Then there might be "Manhattan Pork", although I would use real cherry instead of Marciano. Don't drink your booze - cook with it.

* A proper Bruised Martini is 2-3 ounces gin, a dash of vermouth and a dash of olive brine for colour and flavour. Experiment with the olives, though most places that serve it use regular green olives or the large Sicilian ones. I think I might try it with kalamata olives sometime.

3 Comments:

Blogger Magnus said...

I made a "bruised" martini this afternoon for an "executive lunch". Must have been the fist martini I have had in a while. I kind of gave up on them when they became fashionable again.
I used three niçoise olives and the brine for this and wasn't bad. However, I have to say, it really is better with green olive brine. Maybe kalamata will make a difference? Either way the ripe olives, black and purple in colour, really do look more bruised.

06 April, 2008 22:41  
Blogger Geosomin said...

I had a manhatten the other day and quite enjoyed it.
J made funnny faces tho...

11 April, 2008 10:17  
Blogger Magnus said...

Aside from beer, what does J enjoy, btew?

11 April, 2008 11:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home