Saturday, October 27, 2007

Sticking it to the "Man"

CD in Play: PJ Harvey, White Chalk
I am a 37 year old male, so why have I developed a toy fixation? Aside from the Doctor Who stuff, I have become obsessed with these self-assembly figures known as Stikfas. I bought the Alpha G2 Male "Dark Samurai" (see picture) while I was out looking at some possible presents for Gavin's son Herman - namely two 5" remote control Daleks that come with a Cyber Leader figure. (click here for the link) Gavin was wondering if it might be a bit too involved for Herman, who can be notably short on patience. I have low tolerance for piddly, picky things so I figured I'd try it out for myself.
Stikfas figures, as stated above require assembly allowing people to customise their figures as the see fit. They have numerous articulation points and are actually quite similar to the wooded sketching figures you can pick up in art supply stores. The can be quite piddly and picky indeed - especially the figures with the most articulation points. Joint connection points can sometimes be hard to make and I worry about too much stress taking out the point.
These are possable figures and as such don't make great toys. I find it appropriately ironic that a increase in articulation, something every boy wishes his figures had, makes figures more life-like and yet less functional as a toy. I bought a G2 Gamma Male Viking which was a real exercise in frustration, since it has knee and elbow articulation points as well. But now he is squaring off against my Samurai, currently missing a hand since one broke in half.
I am hooked though. I bought the Alpha Male Pirate with Skeleton (The Skeleton is great) and a black Alpha Male Blister pack, which I will scavenge to give my Samurai a new hand. After that I can replace the Alpha's missing hand with a pirate hook and other accessories. I feel weird, honestly, but I am planning to get the black knight, (see below) knight and horse, samurai and horse, Roman legionnaire, and Beta Female Warrior with Dragon. From there I can start mixing and matching and create some things that have in mind.

5 Comments:

Blogger Geosomin said...

"I am a 37 year old male, so why have I developed a toy fixation"
Answer:
You are a male.
Real men need toys...and not power tools...real good for posing, make spacey sound while playing with, honest to goodness toys.
Nuff said.
Any grown man who does not own at least one action figure or posable toy is looked at very suspiciously by me.
They look rather cool BTW...
I'm currenly obsessed with scientist figures myself...

29 October, 2007 09:25  
Blogger Magnus said...

The new posable Louis Pasteur comes with beakers and a cow. Coming soon the posable Stephen Hawking! (positions limited)

29 October, 2007 09:33  
Blogger Magnus said...

The hands seem fairly fragile on these. What I stick in my pirates hands will have to stay there. My Samurai has had one broken hand already, so I bought a regular blister pack man to replace his hand. That figure then ended up with the pirate's hook.
I am having a lot of fun with the skeleton.

30 October, 2007 11:43  
Blogger RC said...

i haven't heard of those toys before...but hey...why not, they sound fun!

30 October, 2007 23:57  
Blogger Magnus said...

They are fun. I wrote Stikfas about skeleton blister packs yesterday, and they are apparently preparing to put them on the market. Hoping for Greek Hoplites in the future.
There is a whole Stikfas subculture out there of custom figures.

31 October, 2007 09:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home