Wednesday, September 19, 2007

After the FLips

CD in Play: Black Moth Super Rainbow, Dandelion Gum.

It was looking grim yesterday and I was - as is apparent below - not happy about having to see the Flaming Lips at an outdoor show in the pouring rain. Before I left from it had started to thunder and flashes of lightening could be seen all over the sky, and that is unusual for this area. It was still spitting rain when I got to Commercial Drive to meet up with some old university friends for the show, but the weather had improved somewhat by the time I reached Stanley Park. Still overcast but in a way that told you it wasn't about to rain.
The opening act, Black Moth Super Rainbow from Pennsylvania, was one of the best opening acts I have seen in a while. They are sort of a cross between Boards of Canada and Air with a healthy measure of Goblin and the Olivia Tremor Control thrown in for good measure. Great psych rock act: no talking, no posing.
It was still fairly light out when the FLips hit the stage. They are such a positive band that my foul mood completely melted away. When they last played here in 2003 I was so happy after the show that my crappy, soul crushing office job couldn't touch me for three days. I'm feeling pretty elated now. They played stuff from all their albums, including a song I really liked from Zaireeka. ("Riding To WOrk In The YEar 2025 (Your Invisible Now)" I think) There were streamers, confetti, giant balloons filled with confetti, women in elf costumes wearing alien masks, guys and Santa suits, roadie dressed as DC and Marvel Superheroes and then there were the FLips themselves. Wayne Coyne hopped in a giant inflatable bubble and rolled out over top the audience for a bit at the start. People sang and yelled along and the night was good.
I'd still like to give Sam Sullivan a swift kick to someplace he can feel pain, but I am quite happy at the moment.

5 Comments:

Blogger Geosomin said...

Aw...Wayne rolled around in the giant bubble. I've imagined that in my head....

Wow...I'm infinitely jealous.
I'm glad it was such a great show...I can only imagine how great a vibe there would be at one of their shows.

They're on my list of people I'd actually travel to Vancouver to see...except I have no money for it at the moment. I'm hoping they go by there again, and we can come out. Or maybe we'll get lucky and they'll come to Edmonton or something.

20 September, 2007 08:21  
Blogger Magnus said...

Skip Shambala - see the FLips. Best $45.00 I ever spent.
When I move to Saskatoon we should look at organising people to bring them in, find out how much they charge etc. They're from Oklahoma so Sask can't be all that different.

20 September, 2007 09:02  
Blogger Geosomin said...

That's a very good idea...

Oh, I just checked my email and I'll get back to yo uon that question yo uasked. Sorry I took so long...

20 September, 2007 16:24  
Blogger RC said...

bummer about the rain!

23 September, 2007 23:59  
Blogger Magnus said...

I forgot to mention that it actually cleared up as it became dark. It was still overcast when the FLips were about to take the stage, but then suddenly Wayne points to the sky talking about stars.
The problems of writing in a rush.

24 September, 2007 08:56  

Post a Comment

<< Home