Monday, September 24, 2007

Vein of Stars

CD in Play: Neurosis, Times of Grace (Song in my head, "Vein of Stars" by The Flaming Lips)

I have never truly seen the sights I have seen in these pictures. I have never seen the Milky way as clearly as these pictures depict it, but I want to. And I am somewhat saddened by the fact that I cannot explore these places, that this immense and curious galaxy is shut off to us by time space and limited progress.



Maybe this longing - one that I have had my whole life - is the reason that I am drawn to a show like Doctor Who? The fantasy of not only being able to explore time but space as well appeals to me: to most of the people I call friends, I imagine.


I'd never have the mathematical chops to make it in Astronomy, but I am still drawn in by the night sky with the some curiosity and awe that I had as a kid living in Port Coquitlam sitting on the front steps with one of my parents (usually my Mum) staring up at the sky with H.A. Rey's Find the Constellations in hand.



One of things I hope to do while I am living in Saskatchewan is to get somewhere way out there, someplace with minimal light pollution and look up at the sky to see it like this. Who knows?
Photos credits: No.1 by Dan Duriscoe, No. 2 by Chris Dick, No. 3 by Mila.

2 Comments:

Blogger Geosomin said...

Sometimes you can my friend.
it is a beautiful thing... :)

And the northern lights...well :)

25 September, 2007 14:26  
Blogger Magnus said...

The Aurora Borealis is one of the things I miss most about Saskatchewan. You can see it here sometimes, but it is a shifting white pattern only. When I was in Sask in the late 80's it was the first time I saw it in colour - green and red mostly.

25 September, 2007 16:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home