Monday, November 28, 2005

One More Poem Over the Line.

Everything is packed away and in storage. I have no hope of finding my other poems for a while yet. I did find this one. I still like it. (yes, I am still listening to Johnny Cash)



Praise the Laundry

St. Zotique, Sunday afternoons
awkward seating blocks the aisles
intercepting the penitent come to unload their burdens
to surrender their weekly offerings
of urban and domestic dirt
into the stacked, two-tiered confessionals.
Jumping, spinning, whirling – a Pentecostal revival
on the road to clothing Calvary, reborn and renewed.
Salvation in the sudsy blood of Tide, Cheer, and All
All praise be to Maytag.
In the name of the washer, the dryer, and the holy soap
Amen.

Magnus Skallagrimsson 2002

3 Comments:

Blogger Geosomin said...

Good stuff...especially the Haikus.
I agree that a Haiku is a real snapshot of thought. If you overobsess (sp?) poetry and try to make it perfect it comes off as sterile and impersonal. True expressions of thought, wit and sarcasm flow best when the mood is right. At the risk of sounding tacky, I must say you have inspired me to write more...until recently it's been a long time since I felt the "words" in my head enough to spill them out onto a page. I feel inspired.
Thanks!

29 November, 2005 10:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian Doerkson wrote one of the most popular Church songs in the last 25 years with "refiner's fire"

Refiner's Fire
My heart's one desire
Is to beeee holy, set apart for you...

Anyway. The song is based on a couple verses in Malachi:

" But who can endure the day of his coming? Who can stand when he appears? For he will be like a refiner's fire or a launderer's soap. 3 He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; he will purify the Levites and refine them like gold and silver. Then the LORD will have men who will bring offerings in righteousness, 4

I've always thought Doerkson needs to write a second chorus:

Launderer's soap
My heart's only hope
Is to beee holy....

Anyway. That's just a long way of saying I really connected to this one. Cheeky, soapy, religious metaphors... everything I like in a poem.

Except there was no iambic pentameter. So it's not really a poem.

30 November, 2005 12:39  
Blogger Magnus said...

I ambic pentameter does not a poem make - as one who thrives on the works of e.e. cummings should know. >:(

30 November, 2005 16:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home