Sunday, November 20, 2005

Why?

Cd in Play: Super Furry Animals, Guerrilla.

My Dad is obsessed with his health. That's good in a way, I should be more active and looking after these sorts of things. - loose weight, watch what I eat, exercise more, etc. My Dad gets into very particular things though. His latest obsession is with gut flora, probiotics, prebiotics, etc. I have taken Anatomy, disected frogs, fetal pigs and cats. Friend of mine works for the Pathology department in the University of Saskatchewan. I can get clinical with her (and with nursing students I knew in the past) with no problem. There is something in the way my Dad approaches these things, however, that just makes the whole subject seem entirely more repellent than it actually is.
Perhaps this also comes down to his persistance on the matter. It isn't enough that he sends me the links for these sites, he prints them out for me as well. It seems he wants to get me started drinking cultured cabage juice. Here is the skinny on c.c.j:

To implant friendly lactobacteria in the colon and heal damaged mucus membranes of the G.I. tract, you need to drink about 1 and 1/2 cup daily of cultured cabbage juice. Here is how to make it. Fill blender with chopped green cabbage and add distilled water until about 2/3 full. (Do not use well water or tap water). Beat at high speed in the blender for one minute. Pour mixture into bowl and repeat with two more batches. Cover with Seran wrap or similar material and let stand at room temperature. After 3 days, the cabbage juice solution is ready to use. Strain the mixture to separate the liquid from the pulp. Place the cultured cabbage juice in refrigerator. Drink 1/2 cup of this solution diluted with an equal part of water 2 or 3 times each day. When your supply gets low, make second batch just like the first one, except, add 1/2 cup of the juice from the first batch to the second batch. Your second batch will be ready just 24 hours.
This process may be repeated indefinitely. Each serving contains several billion friendly lactobacteria. The lactic acid in the culture cabbage juice will purify the G.I. tract and kill most strains of fungi parasites and other pathogens.
You should drink this mixture until your stools float in the toilet bowl and are odor free. When that happens, you may lower your dosage of cultured cabbage juice to one serving each day as maintenance dosage. You may eat one cup of raw cabbage as a substitute for 1/2 cup of cultured cabbage juice.
Excerpted from "
Hydrogen Peroxide Therapy" By Conrad Lebeau. 11th Edition

And I know my Father quite well... he won't strain the pulp out, believing that it will be even healthier than drinking the juice by itself. Doesn't really get me excited. "Oh boy! Three day old, warm cabbage juice! You really care!" Some say it with flowers, others books and booze, my father says it with repulsive health food.

7 Comments:

Blogger Geosomin said...

YUK!!!
Wow - that's awful. Prerancid cabbage juice eh? Complete with the pulp. *shudder*

Man, just tell your Dad he can buy lactodophilus pills at a health food store (or complete capsules of the natural intestinal flaura) and drink some aloe vera juice (in iced tea or something...it tates like ass straight). My doctor recommended that when I had an ulcer & digestive problems back in university and I healed up in a month or two. AND it's not completely revolting. That cabbage stuff sounds like a recipe for food poisoning. If it just sat a few days fine, but to keep subculturing it? BAD idea. To quote :"Each serving contains several billion friendly lactobacteria." Exactly -Too much of them guys WILL make you sick. If you mess up your natural intestinaly flaura you could end up with IBS - a living hell to endure so I've been told. "The lactic acid in the culture cabbage juice will purify the G.I. tract and kill most strains of fungi parasites and other pathogens". Um...your tummy is full of acid...pH <4. A little lactic acid won't really help there...You can buy lactic acid pills too if you're really insistant. Hell, if you follow the cabbage juice thing to it's natural conclusion, you might as well go all out and have a cabbage juice enema for maximum impact (never understood *that* whole enema thing either.)...it's silly and it never ends. Honestly, just eat well - some roughage and as natural food as you can get and all will be well.

Ok, OK I'll shut up now. I'm sure you don't need me babbling at you. I just don't see why anyone should eat or drink really gross things for the sake of health. I'm all for eating well and living well, but I don't think rancid cabbage is the key.
And why cabbage?
All that would do is make me the queen of flatulence.....and be cabbage breath. I'm sure J would just love that....

mmmmm...cabbage.

And the taste? I'd rather drink V8 with some aloe vera juice & swallow the little critters in a pill. Or just eat some yogurt or sour cream...or some cheese curds...and fries...and gravy...

21 November, 2005 09:36  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, doesn't most stool float? I mean, except for the ones made out of metal. Those ones sink. And I guess the plastic ones may or may not, depending on the density of the plastic.

But wooden stools float.

21 November, 2005 09:36  
Blogger Geosomin said...

Aw crap...I just wrote a whole soapbox...did I accidentally delete it instead of posting it?

21 November, 2005 09:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see. Enable moderation, just so you can block my posts, eh?

Fine. I can live with that.

23 November, 2005 09:33  
Blogger Magnus said...

The soap box thing is fine Heather, thank you. I emailed your comments to my Dad.

Once again sorry about the comments moderation.

27 November, 2005 01:37  
Blogger Magnus said...

I deleted the original message and added some stuff.*

My Dad says he wasn't that fired up about it. I get the feeling he was hoping I would do research for him to find out about its viability. I passed along Heather's comments. * Now I find out that it was his girlfriend who was going to try and make the stuff. She was pressuring my Dad to try it out. I passed on Heather's comments and she got quite defensive about it.
As for cultured cabbage, there is Kimchi which is fermented chili's and cabbage. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_chi has an interesting article and includes a disgusting little fact that will havve me checking myself out at the doctor soon. I still enjoy kimchi though.

* Apparently the parasitic problem with kimchi was found in Chinese Kimchi imported into Korea for Korean consumption. (cheaper than domestic kimchi) I have been buying kimchi made in Korea. The problem is whether or not the Koreans have been using cabbage grown in China.
China uses human waste as fertilizer for their vegetables. (they also use dog shit according to one Chinese woman I was talking to today) This has led to parasites laying eggs in the cabbage. I haven't exhibited any signs of a parasitic infection, so I think I am safe.
When I eventuall get my own place, I am growing my own cabbage.

02 December, 2005 18:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cabbage just makes you fart.

15 December, 2005 14:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home