Monday, November 14, 2005

Montreal

CDs in play: Blonde Redhead, Misery is a Butterfly. The Tragically Hip, Phantom Power.

When I left Montreal at the end of May 2002 I had every intention of returning. Unfortunately, through my own fault, I was unable to do so and have been living in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia ever since. I was born here and am geographically at home here. The mountains, the Fraser River, the local flaura all give me that sense of being home. Vancouver though, has a long way to go as a city - it needs to grow up. Unfortunately, however, this city shows no signs of really wanting to grow up.
Talking with a guy from Brooklyn recently made me acutely aware of just how much I don't fit in here. I start thinking about Montreal and all the things I like and miss about it. The fact that people really are much more relaxed there. Vancouverites play at being relaxed, but really we're pretty uptight. It's a fact that many ex-Vancouverites living in Montreal will atest to.
I'm frustrated I guess. I had a whole five paragraphs that I just erased. I'm spinning my wheels here and have nothing to show for anything. Vancouver is a hard luck town for me, it is for others as well. I need to get back to school, get my teaching credentials and get out of here soon.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and good riddance.

Hey. What's this comment moderation. Why you...!

16 November, 2005 12:24  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why can't I see my comments?

16 November, 2005 12:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello?

16 November, 2005 12:26  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eeevr!

16 November, 2005 12:26  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyway. So, how's the weather down there? It sounded like it was as cold down there as it is up here, which means it's either cold down there, or warm up here. I vote for the latter.

16 November, 2005 12:27  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fulac

16 November, 2005 12:28  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eotjpbc

16 November, 2005 12:28  
Blogger Magnus said...

Man, you really took this personally. You should know that it was going to be some sort of technical glitch with me. Send me an email and inquire, ya know?

27 November, 2005 01:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home