Sunday, September 14, 2008

Me me (me)

CDs in Play: Slint, Slint EP. Stereolab, Rose, My Rocket-Brain! (Rose, le cerveau électronique de ma fusée!) 3" CD single. PJ Harvey, White Chalk.

Current CDs in the Home Stereo: What I listen to on my discman (yeah, yeah, yeah... but I can't afford anything else at this point) is often different from what I listen to at home. I need to buy a rug or something to put under the stand I have for my stereo so I can muffle the bass sounds somewhat. I tried listening to Björk's Volta, but the bass is so dominant - even after turning it all the way down - that I felt bad for the people below and beside me. So I have tried to limit my at home play list to things where the bass won't pound through the walls and the floors.
I have been going through a bit of a rut listening-wise, so this has forced me to search through my CDs and listen to discs I have otherwise been ignoring for a little while. Currently in the player are the soundtracks to Jackie Brown and The Darjeeling Limited (skipping over Peter Sarstedt's annoying "Where Do You Go To (My Lovely)") and also disc one of Girls Girls Girls, which is a compilation of Elvis Costello songs from 1977-1986 assembled by Costello himself.
My discman is having problems, so I may have to look into getting something like an iPod sooner rather than later.

Current Animated Obsession: J and Geo just showed me The Venture Bros. last night. It's a series from the Cartoon Network in the US. Essentially a riff on Hanna Barbara's late 60's action
cartoon, Johnny Quest, the show is very funny and must for anyone who grew up with Saturday morning cartoons that ran from 6am to sometimes way past noon and comic books. The shows creator, Jackson Public (aka Chis McCulloch), was one of the writers on the animated series of The Tick if that is an incentive for anyone out there.

Current Reading material: Aside from safety and procedural manuals, books on postmortem procedures and forensic pathology, I am re-reading the Rebus series by Ian Rankin. Since I started the rebus series back in late 2006 I have been trying to get Geosomin to read it. She has my copy of Knots and Crosses, but when she gets to it only she can say. I decided to reread Knots and Crosses just to see what I thought of the book now that I had completed the series. I still like the book and I acknowledged the changes to Rebus's character as the series progressed while I read it the first time around. However, the differences in writing style really stand out as well. I am just about finished re-reading the second book, Hide and Seek, and will move onto Tooth and Nail which is either my second or third least favourite book in the Rebus series. The content relating to Rebus is fine, but it does feel as though it were written by someone fishing for a movie or a series deal.
Ian Rankin has a new book (non-Rebus) out on September 16th called Doors Open. Needless to say, I will be picking it up.

2 Comments:

Blogger Betty said...

So I'm not the only one currently obsessed with The Venture Bros.! Yay! That show just gets better and better as it goes along, too.

15 September, 2008 00:43  
Blogger Geosomin said...

It's next on my list once I finish the Time Traveller's Wife.

Just finished off season 2 last night. Brilliant shoe that is...

15 September, 2008 09:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home