Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Day 3

CD in Play: Múm, Finally We Are No One

I mentioned this before, but if one thing could scare you into being concerned about becoming diabetic it is seeing gangrenous limbs. This week, so far, most of what I have seen are amputated limbs from diabetics. I spoke with the pathologist about gangrene as she and a resident examined a patient's limb. It was all very interesting. Gangrene starts wet and oozing, but will actually harden and sort of mummify tissue. As the flesh rots when it is wet it creates a horrific stench. Patients in this stage are often bypassed by loved ones because of the odour. The pathologist referred to this as a sort of "social amputation".

When I was off work and heading home I saw a man in a wheelchair. He was missing his right hand, all of his left fingers, (only the thumb remained) his left leg to just below the knee and his right foot looks as though it isn't too far off either. I don't mention this to try and gross people out, I've just never seen anything like it. I am ready to consult with an M.D. as soon as I have my provincial health care card about dietary and exercising concerns. Seriously consider doing something about it if you are in the risk category.

I may not be able to attend the autopsy for tomorrow, due to certain factors. They are scheduled to do another particular sort of autopsy, but I am going to ask that I not have that be the first autopsy I attend. I'd like to have at least three regular autopsies before I attend the other kind. Other than that I am learning how formaldehyde (which is called formalin in its diluted state) fixes, or preserves, tissue and other things related to what histopathology does and how a hospital operates.

My old employers are trying to get me to work shifts for them as well. Technically I am still employed by them, but they do not seem to comprehend that I am training full time. They also want me to work at some strikes that are going on - something that I am opposed to doing. I am now in a union as well, so I am hoping that I can avoid those shift that way. I decided to stay on their casual lists in case the Health Region decides to let me go after my probationary period is over, or if I truly cannot stomach the work. Having something to fall back on immediately seems like a good idea and it also means I do not have to reapply for my license. But it could prove to be a bigger hassle than I can deal with at this time. I like what I am training for so far and I really do not want to go back to private security at this point.

Anyhow, I am off to my Printmaking class. I'll be learning about lithography, etching, intaglio, digital imaging and serigraphy. (silk screening)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember:
Less invasions,
More equations!

10 September, 2008 20:12  
Blogger Magnus said...

Thanks! I had that reversed in my head.

13 September, 2008 12:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home