Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Back to School

CD in Play: Hüsker , Zen Arcade

Okay, so I don't have my first class tonight like I thought. I am taking Printmaking (lithography, silkscreening, etc) and am pretty eager to get started. But I have had to get my student card, UPass and sort a few things out around the campus before my semester really kicks off. It is odd being back, even odder being the "old man" on campus. I am reminder of a guy I new in university named Rider. Rider was 38 when he returned to school. He knew I was burning out and warned me that if I left school I would find it very hard to get back in. Here I am at 38 just returning to school like Rider did a decade ago. Still, it was cool having Rider around, and my friend Alex and I got a lot from hanging around with him in the studio.
But it is still weird. Everything has changed too. When I left school, things weren't as heavily computerized as they are now. I have to get used to the idea of checking my account online for the syllabus and and assignments. Libraries have changed. It is odd and all too modern. Isn't a decade too short a time for all this amount of change to happen? I'll have to play catch up in so many ways, it is a bit intimidating.
Anyhow, I have to get on with my day. My power should be connected by now and I need to unpack, sort things out and buy some groceries.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um...you left your cell at my brothers. I'd phone you about it, but y'know...

03 September, 2008 13:48  
Blogger Magnus said...

Yeah, I've got it. Part of being an old man I guess.

On that note, I should have been expecting this but... as I have been walking around campus and chatting with people I have been encountering the same response and question, "Oh? You're a new prof on campus? What courses are you teaching?"

If the UofS would like to just cut the chase and give me a Master of Fine Arts degree and take me on as a prof, they have my permission to do so.

03 September, 2008 16:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home