Saturday, September 20, 2008

Food Meme

CD in Play: Isis, Oceanic

Geo picked this up from her friend Grapecat and it looks kinda cool. Anything highlighted in green is something I have had. Anything with ** after is something I refuse to eat. Anything with a # after is something I have eaten but did not like. Anything with a ^^ is one I am curious about.

The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:

1. Venison (not bad, but moose and elk are better)
2. Nettle tea^^
3. Huevos Rancheros (It's a favourite of mine)
4. Steak Tartare
** (I like beef carpaccio and beef sashimi, but this one is sounds riskier parasite-wise)
5. Crocodile^^
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue (I prefer oil fondues)
8. Carp (still need to try gefilte fish)
9. Borscht
10. Baba Ghanoush
11. Calamari
12. Ph
(what I really want right now actually)
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo Gobi (had it but had no clue what it was called)
15. Hot dog from a street cart

16. Époisses^^ (I like smelly cheese though, so I'd try it)
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes (some have been okay and some bad)
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie Gras

24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese # (
My Grandmother made it and my Dad and Uncle love it)
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters

29. Baklava
30. Bagna Cauda^^

31. Wasabi Peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl

33. Salted Lassi (Really good)
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar # (I
love cognac, but I have never and will never smoke anything)
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly
39. Gumbo

40. Oxtail (only in soup and stews if that counts)
41. Curried goat^^
42. Whole insects^^

43. Phaal^^
44. Goat’s milk (I bloody love goats milk and everyone should give it a chance - GEO!)
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu^^
(Hopefully I won't have a Homer Simpson experience)
47. Chicken Tikka Masala
48. Eel (BBG Eel rules)
49. Krispy Kreme
original glazed doughnut ### (Krispy Krap. Doughnuts are from Satan's ass)
50. Sea urchin # (I have tried it a few of times, but the appeal is lost on me)
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi (one of my favourite things in the whole universe)
53. Abalone^^ (I have had it, apparently, but don't remember it)

54. Paneer^^
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal** #
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini (My preferred martini actually, but I call it a bruised martini)
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine
60. Carob chips (My parents used to buy me carob instead of chocolate, so I have a taste for it)
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads **
(Would I want anyone eating my testicles?)
63. Kaolin (as in the clay from China?)
64. Currywurst
65. Durian^^ (Who wouldn't want to eat something that is supposed to smelled like dead people?)
66. Frogs legs^^
67. Beignets, Churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis (a favouite of mine - and I am not Scottish)
69. Fried plantain

70. Chitterlings, or andouillette (I have had tripe in Italian and Chinese cuisine - not bad if prepared right. Also had it is the lining in sasusage)
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill**

76. Baijiu^^
77. Hostess Fruit Pie #
78. Snail
79. Lapsang Souchong

80. Bellini (I'm not a 20 year old girl and I am straight)
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky

84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant^^ (probably not since I have no clue what this is. And according to what Glen wrote no, I haven't)
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare^^ (as in a type of rabbit? Sure)
87. Goulash
88. Flowers

89. Horse^^
90. Criollo Chocolate^^
91. Spam
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa^^
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee (assuming it wasn't the counterfit stuff)
100. Snake^^ (My Uncle had it in Kowloon when he was in the Navy. Tastes like chicken)

I'll have more later on my job and life in Saskatoon - I am about to get kicked out of the Library. I need to time my getting kicked out when the attractive blonde woman is working.

3 Comments:

Blogger Geosomin said...

When I read the Hostess Fruit Pie, all I could think of was Darin...he seemed to eat his weight in those things when I was in Vancouver...

20 September, 2008 21:32  
Blogger Glen McKay said...

Michelin star restaurants are the creme-de-la-creme of restaurants, whereyou pay something like $400+ not including drinks. Never been to one either, don't plan to. Not sure Canada even has one.

21 September, 2008 10:10  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have had durian. For the longest time, I refused to even think of eating it. But then, after I tried eating stinky tofu, I thought I would beat all my fellow foreigners to the punch. Almost no foreigners like stinky tofu, and will entertain the eating of durian even less.
My curiosity paid off. It is incredibly filling, and the taste is much more palatable than the smell exudes from a distance. The aftertaste takes some getting used to, but it is worth eating. Try it sometime. The fruit is a weird sort of combination of pineapple and onion and pear rolled into one single food. Fascinating.

21 September, 2008 11:38  

Post a Comment

<< Home