In the Name of the `Slaw
It is Pascha today, or Eastern Orthodox Easter. I'm not Orthodox. I didn't attend services for Pascha, but I am going to the Paschal feast. However, I am not going as a mooching freeloader. I am bringing coleslaw that I made today. I have eaten periodically at an El Salvadoran place on Commercial Drive and they serve a coleslaw with their pupusas that I love. It took a Jamie Oliver show on onions, though, for me to clue in how I might make it. It isn't exact by any means, but I think I have come up with something pretty good.
- Shave or grate an onion. I used a Spanish onion.
- Place prepared onion in bowl, add enough white balsamic vinegar to soak the onions in.
- Add a pinch of smoked paprika, coarse salt to taste and mix it in.
- Let the onions stand for the next five minutes and add diced bell peppers.
- Chop up your cabbage. I used green and purple. Add fresh, chopped basil leaves.
- Mix cabbage and onions and peppers.