Sunday, November 25, 2007

Verily, Forsooth, Etc. Etc. Ad Infinitum

CD in Play: Black Moth Super Rainbow, Dandelion Gum

BSG: Razor

BSG has had the tendency to disappoint since the conclusion of the Pegasus storyline in Season 2. Not that this was necessarily a fault of the writers of the shows producers - Sci-Fi had been leaning on them for more stand alone episodes. The show had low Nielson ratings and, I gather, that the network was blaming that on shows story arc. Season 3 demonstrated that BSG does even worse when it strays from the arc, and it sort of killed my intense interest in the show. I wasn't at all sure what to expect from Razor, but found myself engrossed in the show the way I had been prior to the thirteenth episode of Season 2.
I won't spoil it for anyone, but I would recommend it to anyone who kind of hit the wall with the show last season. There are a couple of nods to the original series in this show as well. Solid writing, good casting and if you are a Farscape fan - Scorpius' nurse from the Season 3 episode "The Incubator" has a major role as Lt./Major Kendra Shaw. Yeah, yeah... I am a sucker for a pretty face.

Speaking of Good Writing...

I picked up Book 6 of Ex Machina last weekend. Created by Brian K. Vaughn and Tony Harris, the series continues to impress me and is also something I wou;d recommemd to anyone who wants a truly unique look at tthe notion of superheros. The main Character is Mitchell Hundred who gains the power to hear, speak to and control machinery after an accident under the Brooklyn Bridge. He tries to serve New York as a Superhero/vigillante called The Great Machine, but quits after a year of so to run for mayor of New York City. He wins but that is when the story becomes most interesting. The only thing that frustrates me is that I have to wait so long for the books to come out.
Vaughn was also doing Y: The Last Man wit Pia Guerra. I had started reading it and told others to check it out- a good thing too since I have not been able to keep up with the books on my own. Elijah loaned me his copies to read, along with 30 Days of Night: Dark Days and Eben and Stella. For what it is worth, I think Steve Niles' script for the film is much better than the actual comic series he created. The vampires in the film are much more visceral, beastial and (as Elijah put it) tribal.

3 Comments:

Blogger Betty said...

I've been a bit lukewarm towards BSG this past season, so I wasn't expecting a lot from Razor but, man, it's quite thoroughly rekindled my interest in the series and made me remember exactly why I liked the show so much in the first place. Fine piece of television, that.

And that's where I knew that actress from! I thought she seemed vaguely familiar.

25 November, 2007 21:37  
Blogger Magnus said...

Yeah, a bit of a change from the gothic, S&M nurse - but familiar all the same.
I was an impressive side story. Too bad Sci-Fi has its head so far up its rectum to see the potential in producing and promoting good programming, rather than quick easy knock-em off shows.
Anyhow, Space is running the original Quatermass Experiment tonight, so I intend to watch that tonight. Glad I traded shifts for tomorrow.
Looks as though I'll be able to borrow Logopolis and Castrovalva sometime soon. I might also be able to borrow Keeper of the Trachen, but am a bit unsure about that one.

25 November, 2007 22:29  
Blogger Betty said...

Well, ideally you do want to watch "The Keeper of Traken" before "Logopolis." So, good luck!

25 November, 2007 22:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home