Friday, August 17, 2007

Viral Marketing

CD in Play: Beastie Boys, Paul's Boutique

If you were unfortunate enough, like me, to have seen Transformers then you also saw the teaser for the heavily obfuscated J.J. Abrams picture currently known as as Cloverfield. It looks to be a Godzilla type monster movie and one of the rumours states that there be three monsters in the film: Bohemoth, Leviathan and Ziz of Jewish lore. That is just one of the rumours, (although its largely Jewish cast makes me fairly open to the Monsters of Jewish lore rumour. Besides, it would be very cool) others state it is a remake of Voltron, others state that it was a remake of Godzilla and yet another said it was about an alien parasite. Those particular rumours have all been squashed. (except the three Jewish monsters one)
Paramount is using a viral marketing, or word-of-mouth, campaign to stimulate buzz. I have chosen to participate in the campaign by posting this item on my blog, thus getting others to possibly discuss the film as well and spread the word. Peter Chattaway also participated in the viral campaign by posting up about the Jewish monsters rumour.
The teaser tells us nothing about the film, not even its title. Paramount is keeping Mum and there have been no real reliable leaks from on set. I like the poster and I like the Jewish monsters idea, hopefully the film does not suck.
Speaking of Viruses...
I am sitting it the SFU library in Surrey and am surrounded by the cast and crew of the made for TV remake of The Andromeda Strain. Based on the book by Michael Crichton, it was first filmed in 1971. The remake starts Ricky Schroder, Christa Miller and the main guy from Will and Grace. The library is full of medical equipment and one crew member casting me suspicious glances as I sit here and type.
Will it be good? No idea, it is for A&E. (but I did stand behind the director for a bit and watched the dailys - privilege of position, or Mikael Salomon is just a nice guy) However, the cast and crew have been great and pretty unobtrusive for the most part. Have a good weekend.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool...I always lilke the Andromeda strain. Hope they don't screw it up too much.

Now if they'd just make a Jem and the Holigrams movie....

20 August, 2007 12:01  
Blogger Magnus said...

"Now if they'd just make a Jem and the Holigrams movie...."

They have drugs to deal with sort of sickness you know.

20 August, 2007 14:34  
Blogger Geosomin said...

Yes...I believe they come free at the start of the film...All part of the package. :)

21 August, 2007 08:44  
Blogger RC said...

way to be a viral marking participant...

i've stayed low on this one...primarily because i think movies that come out in january (with no la/nyc prescreening) tend to be super-lame and not worthy of my viral assistance.

22 August, 2007 01:02  
Blogger Magnus said...

Could very well be true, but then Breach came out in January and I really liked it. Warner (?) dumped Zodiak into a February slot and I thought it was a great film. Given what the studios seem to think makes a "quality" film these days, maybe the early quarter of the year might just become the most interesting?

22 August, 2007 07:14  
Blogger Magnus said...

For the record I find vrial marketing interesting. I don't view it as companies using me as acheap advertising platform, rather I look it at that they are sparing me from a nauseating, amped up, uberhyper-marketing campaign.

22 August, 2007 09:30  
Blogger Geosomin said...

I've noticed a disturbing thing aas of late - companies paying cool trendyish people to hang out in cool trendyish places and talk loudly about how cool and trendy an item/film/thing is. Usurping the wholr word of mouth thing so to speak.
Don't go ove rto the dark side...come back!

22 August, 2007 11:02  
Blogger Magnus said...

When regular people generate the buzz that is one thing, but what you are talking about is rather more insideous.
Pete will groan (then again he rarely reads the comments on anyone's blog but his own) but the film The Corporation gets into that. I encountered that on the Drive, and they were way off base on their target audience.
I haven't seen that sort of thing for films yet, just music.

22 August, 2007 11:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home