Saturday, November 25, 2006

Ping-Pong

CD in Play: Wilco, A Ghost is Born

It happens to all of us, songs get stuck in your head and there is only one way to get them out. We whistle, hum, sing, tap all in the hope to clear our heads. Sometimes I get two, three and four songs going all at once. Cacophonous to say the least. Anyhow here is a list of the songs that get stuck in my head, for whatever reason. (Admittedly, much of this I learned as a kid) Make of it what you will.

- La Marseillaise
- God Save the Queen (the anthem not the punk version)
- Oh Canada
- Hockey Night In Canada
- Eidelweiss
- Danny Boy
- The Blue Danube
- It's a Long way to Tipperary
- The Army Goes Rolling Along
- Waltzing Matilda
- Off We Go into the Wild Blue Yonder
- The Marines' Hymn
- Pack up Your Troubles (with the line "While you've a lucifer to light your fag" it made most kids in Grade 5 giggle without the cultural context to put the line in perspective)
- How Great Thou Art (A hymn I hate)
- Battle Hymn of the Republic (which always comes to mind when I am racing home in the cold to get to the bathroom before I pee in my pants)
- Be Thou My Vision
- Amazing Grace
- When Johnny Comes Marching Home
- When the Saints Go Marching In
- Hark the Herald Angels Sing
- O' Come All Ye Faithful
- Angels We Have Heard on High
- Dona Nobis Pachem
- Silent Night
- God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
- Christmas Time is Here (Note, most of these carols and one Christmas song pop into my head around July and August)
- Linus and Lucy
- The Simpsons theme
- Original Doctor Who theme
- Original Star Trek theme
- Barney Miller theme
- Sanford and Son theme
- Blackadder themes
- Red Dwarf theme
- WKRP closing theme
- M.A.S.H. theme
- 60's Spiderman soundtrack
- Looney Tunes Theme
- Muppet Show Theme
- It's Not Easy Being Green, Kermit the Frog
- King of the Road, Roger Miller
- I Walk the Line, Johnny Cash
- Ring of Fire, Johnny Cash
- Cocaine Blue, Johnny Cash
- Canary in a Coal Mine, The Police
- Walking on the Moon, The Police
- Man in a Suitcase, The Police
- Rehumanize Yourself, The Police
- One World (Not Three), The Police
- Secret Journey, The Police
- My Boy Lollipop, Millie Small
- Guns of Navarrone, The Skatalites
- Skinhead Moonstomp, Symarip (all of West Indies descent, btw)
- Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black) - Neil Young
- Goodbye Porkpie Hat, Charles Mingus
- Haitian Fight Song, Charles Mingus

There are tonnes more. "Ping-Pong" was song by my friends Greg and "Zeke" (aka Ken Goudswaard) from their days playing in a band called 32toBase. That also got stuck in my head frequently, especially the staggered 3 part harmony line, "In my head there is a little palstic ball/bouncing, bouncing in my head/there is a..." and so on. Other songs like "Hanging the Painting", "Invisible Shoppers" and "5,000 years of Korean Art" also lodged themselves inside my mind and refused to check out. My old band, Hypernode, had songs that frequently stuck in my head: "Rabbit 11", "3Jane", "New Party, New Future" and "Doktor'd Photograf".
One of the most brain-grabbing songs - like a pitbull on a side of beef - was written by Ken Goudswaard for his project, Schrodinger's Cat. "Malibu Stacy" is a song you are either going to hate or love, but either way the line "Maaa-li-bu Staa-cy, Maa-li-bu, Staa-zy..." will stick with you, and roll on and on and on. Trent and I often stuck it in one anothers head. And the only way to exorcise it out of our minds was to sing it out together.

2 Comments:

Blogger Geosomin said...

What?
Not Popcorn?

26 November, 2006 15:11  
Blogger Magnus said...

"Maaa-li-bu Staa-cy, Maa-li-bu Staa-zy..." and on and on and on and on.

27 November, 2006 19:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home