Sunday, October 29, 2006

Uh? Hummmm... Oh! Aahh... Hmmmm?

CDs in Play: Tortoise, A Lazarus Taxon (Disc 1). Elevator to Hell, Eerieconsiliation.


It's Okay to Come Out of Your Shell

Whoa... I haven't been to the official Tortoise website in a looooong time. I am currently checking out Tortoise Radio, which is something I would have done with Hypernode had we been more of a band and less a collection of dreamers. Unlike Isis' radio outlet on their website, Tortoise have set up the Tortoise Player which seems to play anything but Tortoise. Grindcore and death metal, Miles Davis, Art Ensemle of Chicago, Van Dyke Parks, GZA/Genius and Morton Subotnik - a mixed bag to be sure. Check it out, but you will need Quicktime and have to run Active X.

A History of Murder

A school teacher has been murdered in my area. Manjit Panghali was a popular Grade 1 teacher and a pregnant mother of three. She had been abducted and her burned body was just found down by the Fraser River. A friend of the family who was in the RCMP through the 70's and 80's had told us about how the burned bodies of East Indian women had been turning up on the rivershores of the Fraser for a long time - he would know as he had to examine the bodies. I have always found it odd how BC's sensation happy media has chosen to ignore these murders in the past.
As I recall, no one thought of these murders as serial murders. There was an assumption that these women had done something that was shaming to the family and were punished accordingly. I am not an expert of Sikh culture, but I would like to think that homocide is as much a taboo in that culture as it is in ours. However, there have been examples in the past of how certain members of that culture (and others, such as one Croatian family from few years back) do view homocide as legitmate course of action in instances of disgrace and shame.
It makes me wonder if the media had reported these deaths would this woman have met with such a gruesome end? Was this a cultural murder or someone, an outsider, using a little discussed modus operandi to cover his or her tracks? My sorrows and regrets to the family, colleagues amd students of Mrs. Panghali. May the murderer be caught soon.

Stiffled

I am feeling stiffled these days - artistically frustrated. I have been hammering out story ideas and may have struck upon one that could work. However, I really need to get a bass and play again. I need to pick up my Godin from an old friend who has apparently decided to stay out of touch and trade it in to Long and McQuade (with some cash on top) for a bass. I have an idea for recording but just need something to work the ideas out on to. I also need to paint. I need to hold my brushed and pallette knives in my hand, working on a canvas. I dunno, I feel like half a person.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

May God bless the soul of this outstanding role model, Manjit Panghali, and her unborn child. I have been told by somebody that the funeral service is at Five Rivers Funeral Home, in Delta on River Road, at 12:30pm on Saturday, November 4th, and the religious service for the completion of the sehaj paath (continuous prayers) is taking place after the funeral service at Gurdwara Sahib Dasmesh Darbar (on 85 Ave at 128 Street) in Surrey.

29 October, 2006 23:30  
Blogger G.S. Marjara said...

Murder is murder irrespective who the victim was, May almighty give peace to Manjit and punishment to her murderes, but le me tell you Sikh religion is the first one from India which gives total fredom and respect to women, so kindly dont add flavour of relegious practice to such serial murders.

31 October, 2006 03:54  
Blogger Magnus said...

Marjara: I can't think of a single religion that does sanction murder, and if go back and read the post I didn't blame this on the Sikh religion. People and cultures make allowances for murder - including my own on the subject of Capital Punishment. Many Christians in North America believe in the death penalty despite the fact that there is no justifictaion to be found for it in the New Testament. The Bible also doesn't allow for things like the Crusades, the murder of Abortion doctors, etc. As a Musilm colleague of mine once pointed out, you'd be hard pressed to find rape as proscribed or appropriate punishment - yet it is practiced and sanctioned by many authorities in Pakistan. (this was in regards to a story that CBC ran about a month back) Same goes for suicide bombings.
Sikhism does seem to have made a remarkable transformation since my first encounters with it in childhood. I was recently told that the turban in Sikhism was an article allowed to be worn by both women and men - that they are equal - since the earliest days of the religion. But the woman speaking to me acknowleged that it was only recently being rediscovered by women. As Sikhs grow up here in Canada it seems that the more liberal aspects of their doctrines and traditions are being discovered. The girls I knew in elementary and high school whose families had moved here more recently were far less free and liberated than the ones whose families had been here for a while.
The fact remains that East Indian women, and not Indian men, have been found murdered and burnt on the shores of the Fraser River since the 1970's. As Indian cultures become increasingly inextricably intwoven into the fabric of the Canadian mosaic, murders such as these must be addressed and must be dealt with as any other murder.

Anonymous: Thanks for posting and publishing that information.

31 October, 2006 21:36  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A history of murder would refer to GVRD area of Vancouver, correct?

01 November, 2006 00:40  
Blogger Magnus said...

Yeah, in a general way. Like I said these murders go back a ways. When the murder of Ms. Panghali occured I had been dealing with my own memories of the fear I felt when Olson was murdering children and also reflecting on the whole Pickton affair and the dark undercurrents of my hometown.

01 November, 2006 17:06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, now I am remembering Clifford Olson. My parents had me locked up pretty tight for a while.

01 November, 2006 20:10  
Blogger Magnus said...

Yeah, Olson had me scared to go out for a while. His victims seemed to come from all over at the time. My Dad lived in North Vancouver and there was a park across the street from his place, I was absolutely terrified to go into it. My friend Gavin said his little brother was so scared that he couldn't eat, went from being a chubby kid to rail thin.

02 November, 2006 00:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We need to support Manjit Panghali and bill C484. If a mother and her unborn baby are murdered I believe the unborn baby is a person too. So if a mother and her unborn baby are murdered then the person who murdered them should receive a double murder charge.

11 May, 2008 15:27  
Blogger Magnus said...

I would need to read up on the bill to offer an opinion.

11 May, 2008 23:45  

Post a Comment

<< Home