Wednesday, November 22, 2006

And When the Wombat Comes...

Stuck in my Head: The Police remixed by Stewart Copeland

I was in A&B Sound this weekend and happened to spy and subsequently pick up a copy of Everyone Stares The Police Inside Out, a documentary made by Stewart Copeland. (the drummer for The Police if you weren't aware) Copeland bought a Super 8 cam in the earlyish days of the band and shot over 50 hours of footage with it. (the camera is featured in the video promo for "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da", I think) Since Super 8 footage gets damaged every time it is played, Copeland sat on his personal archive waiting for technology to catch up. It did and a documentary was born.
So few people talk about The Police today it is hard to remember sometimes that they really were a supergroup, honest to God rock stars of mythological proportions. They were HUGE and unlike today's superstars, they had to talent to burn. Packed concert halls and stadiums, record signings, screaming delirious fans - all captured on Super 8 and transferred to digital.
If you are a fan of The Police's music, pick it up. Copeland also remixed their songs for the soundtrack. Some songs are, obviously still presented as they were performed, but Copeland's soundtrack mix will allow you to hear their music in an entirely new way. Pop over to the set-up menu and listen to his mix of "Don't Stand So Close to Me". I can listen to the song every once and a while but I am tired of it. Copeland mixed the Zenyatta Mondatta version with the singles version they released in 1986 with interesting results. I have been popping in the DVD just to listen to it. The end credits mix is also interesting in its fusion of "Can't Stand Losing You" with "Regatta de Blanc" and other bits.
Anyhow, worth checking out at the very least. Now if they'd just re-release The Police, Around the World in 80 Days.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought this was supposed to be a politics blog.

22 November, 2006 22:24  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone obviously hasn't been paying attention. It's a Magnus Blog. Which means politics, books, art, movies, religion and unrequited love are all fair game.

But, like the weather, if you don't like what you see, wait a few hours, and he'll probably be ranting about something completely different.

22 November, 2006 22:58  
Blogger Magnus said...

Well, I was writing on some things but it was just getting old. Same old same old and it was becoming quite inarticulate. Needed to give the politics a breather.
I actually have something I am trying to research, but it is a local concern. When I have the information I will post it. But if you are after an opinion on the Democrats taking the House of Representatives...

23 November, 2006 00:45  
Blogger Geosomin said...

There's a house on my street and it looks real neat...

Nifty.
I'll have to check that out. Thanks.

I'm sure there will be many a rant to come. I await them :)

26 November, 2006 15:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home