Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunday, Bloody Sunday

I sit here at the Library listening to people scrap over computers. I should have gone to the university, but I am heading out shopping after this - the annoying needs of housekeeping have reared their ugly heads and are squawking incessantly at me.
Having other things to do, I went out and did them. It is nice here, beautiful in fact. Sunny and unseasonably warm (4 degrees today, 5 tomorrow and then back below zero) I decided to try and take some photos. Of course, every time I lifted my camera, the sun would slip from view and behind some cloud lurking around to spoil my light. Bastards. Nothing worse than flat light.
I have been reading George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. (my friend Elijah bought me the entire series to date for Christmas) I am leery of most things that fall into the "Fantasy" category since much of it is crap trying to pass itself off as Tolkien's inheritor. I am more the half way through the second book and I am impressed. It would seem to be loosely based on the real War of the Roses and is much grittier and realistic than I expected. A good read, but not for the kids... not just yet. But I don't have kids, so I am okay. Look to your own children.

2 Comments:

Blogger Glen McKay said...

I'm a little late but wanted ot say that I've read the series as well and while it is good I feel that it is starting to drag a bit. It's going to be six or seven books but I think it is getting a bit "padded" for content and could be tightened up a little

31 January, 2009 00:57  
Blogger Magnus said...

I'm less than half way through book and so far so good.

31 January, 2009 14:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home