Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The "It's Raining Meme"

CD in Play: The Slackers, Wasted Days

It is raining actually, and Geo and J say a big storm is headed Saskatoon's way shortly. I am kind of at a loss for anything meaningful to write, so I figured I'd role out the meme. (or whatever this misunderstanding of a meme really is)

Current attire: well all my clothes are the same, so allow me to lie. Slate lamé dress shoes, gold lamé trousers, copper lamé morning coat, silver lamé waistcoat, pearl lamé formal shirt, obsidian lamé bow tie, and a monocle. And no, I don't have a brother named George.

Current DVD: The Grifters, starring John Cusack, Angelica Houston and Annette Benning. I bought this back in Vancouver but have finally watched it. Just as bleak as when I saw it at the Hoy House with Pete Chattaway and the gang way back in the early` 90's. A solid film, though, by Stephen Frears who would go on to direct Cusack in High Fidelity a decade later. The film is based on a novel by famed pulp crime writer, Jim Thompson. I've been meaning to read Thompson's work for a few months now.

Current Books: I am double teaming again. The Mabinogion, which is the Welsh cycle of myths and legends made popular by Lady Charlotte Guest. I was a big fan of Lloyd Alexander's The Chronicles of Prydain as a child, and he was influenced by The Mabinogion. Also in the dock is Unmarketable: Brandalism, Copyfighting, Mocketing and the Erosion of Integrity by Anne Elizabeth Moore of Punk Planet fame. The book looks at how Corporations and Marketers have been co-opting alternative and underground subculture for profit. The Georgia Straight gave it an unfavourable review because Moore provides few solutions to accompany her criticisms. However, I have never been one to expect that a work provide me with all the answers and am finding it an interesting read.

Current Headache: My job and the interview process. I am back in security, despite wanting to be out of it for good. The hours just aren't coming in and I need them to come in. I should be getting my second interview with the Health Region next week, however. But then they have to make their decision and I am not 100% sure the answer will be what I am hoping for. And if it is yes, how soon will I start? And yes, this is the autopsy tech job.

Current Interest: Quatermass. Old British sci-fi. I have seen the 1967 film version of Quatermass and the Pit and the 2005 remake of The Quatermass Experiment (it was broadcast live as was the 1955 original) The character intrigues me and I'd like to see more.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you really want to work as an autopsy guy? Wouldn't it, like, hurt you meeting women out there?

14 August, 2008 02:07  
Blogger Magnus said...

Like I've done so well meeting women in other jobs? Whatever, this is about the money and having work that is more interesting than being a grunt for hire.

14 August, 2008 09:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home