Thursday, December 06, 2007

J.P. Patches

Anyone who grew up in the Pacific Northwest between 1953 and 1981 should remember J.P. Patches, clown and children's television show host that aired on either KIRO 7 or KING 5 every weekday morning. The show was unscripted and could be the very best in chaotic, cacophonous entertainment. The other night KCPQ (the local PBS station) aired a Patches Marathon and had both J.P. - Mayor of the City Dump - and Gertrude (played by the talented Bob Newman who provided almost all the charaters in the supporting cast) on the air.
It was fun watching what segments they had to air - the show was live and seldom recorded - and it really brought back some of the better memories surrounding my childhood. (It has been the week for that it seems) Sadly, I discovered Chris Wedes (J.P.) has an inccurable blood cancer that is in remission. It seems that the fund raiser was actually for him. J.P. and Bob Newman are both quite old now, of course, but it hits home in a way that a fondly remembered sick family does.

Of course J.P. Patches isn't just a piece of Pacific North-West History, he's one of the inspirations Matt Groening (a Seattle native) had for Krusty the Klown. J.P. was never as crusty or as cynical as Krusty, though.

7 Comments:

Blogger Geosomin said...

I never liked Patches. HE wierded me out...like some kind of serial killer clown or something.
I know I know...no real reason why.
Just...creepy...

11 December, 2007 07:29  
Blogger Magnus said...

YOU had JP Patches? I didn't think anyone outside the Pacific Northwest ever saw the show.
A lot of people are creeped out by clowns for some reason. I dunno, the zaniness of J.P. Patches was probably a cornerstone in my development.

11 December, 2007 09:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a huge fan of J.P. and Newman...speaking of which, what was Newman doing at the end of the show declaring he would never appear again, pulled his wig off and snapped at Wedes to "don't touch my hair"? Confused in Seattle?

11 December, 2007 15:11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't mind clowns at all really.
But Patches...creepy.

12 December, 2007 07:49  
Blogger Magnus said...

Are we talking about a different clown here? The same on in the picture? I mean, I can understand being creeped out by Gertrude, but J.P.? What have you been doing on these nights out dancing, other than dancing?

12 December, 2007 14:18  
Blogger Geosomin said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12 December, 2007 15:06  
Blogger Geosomin said...

OK...I'm an idiot. Now tha tI look at it, I'm really talking about being scared on the parts when when Gertrude was on the show...It was his HUGE eyebrows...
Ptches on his own was OK, but I knew the othe rclown could pop in at any time...not cool.
JP was just in a bad crowd :)

12 December, 2007 15:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home