Sunday, June 10, 2007

Ashes of Hometown Flags

CD in Play: The Police, Regatta de Blanc

This is the flag of my hometown, Port Coquitlam. Coquitlam is a derivation of the native term Kwikwet'lam which either means "little red fish", "smells like fish", or "smelly red fish": I have heard all three offered up as the definitive definitions. Can't explain why I am so passionate about my hometown - it ain't anything special. But I do still care about what happens there. Note to city council - you fucked it up.

7 Comments:

Blogger Geosomin said...

That is one wierd looking flag...I must say.

11 June, 2007 11:38  
Blogger Magnus said...

Oh yeah? Well at least my hometown has a flag!

Honestly, though, I have no clue why cities even have flags.

11 June, 2007 14:39  
Blogger Glen McKay said...

Probably back in the 1950s or so cities having flags was some big fad. Port Coquitlam probably paid a bunch of consultants to design it too!

13 June, 2007 00:59  
Blogger Geosomin said...

True enough...I looked it up and Saskatoon doesn't have one. I *know* Odessa didn't. They just got a village sign a while back...

13 June, 2007 08:58  
Blogger Magnus said...

Saskatoon does have one, just look it up on Wikipedia.
I understand BIG cities like Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto having flags, but small cities just make no sense to me.

13 June, 2007 09:13  
Blogger Geosomin said...

i did...
i couldn't find it. Hmmm...maybe I have the broken internet...

15 June, 2007 10:23  
Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome to Fishdonutville UFOland.

17 June, 2007 13:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home