Thursday, May 17, 2007

Lloyd Alexander, 1924-2007. RIP

CD in Play: múm, Finally We are No One

Lloyd Alexander was the author of many books, the most familiar (and the only ones of his I have read) are the Prydain Chronicles. Inspired by Welsh mythology, (though in no way a literal retelling) the books that make up the Prydain Chronicles - The Book of Three, The Black Cauldron, The Castle of Llyr, Taran Wanderer and the The High King - were a fairly import part of my reading diet as a child, along side the works of J.R.R. Tolkien and Jules Verne.
Alexander died just two weeks after the death of his wife of sixty-one years, Janine.

On another note, raging fundamentalist Jerry Falwell also passed away this week on the 15th. In my opinion, Falwell was a disgrace and did a major disservice to the Christian faith. While I am certainly no pargon to hold up to the masses, I pray for God to show him mercy and may he find the clarity in death that he lacked in life.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've read a couple other of his (and by his, I mean Alexander's) books. The ones that I have read really went in for that long dark night of the soul thing that you find in TTW. I remember liking them, but not enough that I went wild and tracked down everything he'd written.

17 May, 2007 17:49  
Blogger Magnus said...

Also, it wasn't easy to get a hold of his other books for the longest time. Bookstores and libraries just didn't seem to carry them.

18 May, 2007 09:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home