Wednesday, March 07, 2007

300

CD in Play: Neko Case, Fox Confessor Brings the Flood

I saw 300 with Pete on Monday night. 300, if you are unaware, is based on the graphic novel of the same name by Frank Miller. (The Dark Knight Returns, Sin City, Martha Washington Goes to War) I had only skimmed Miller's work back in 2001, but am told the film is faithful to Miller's account of the Battle of Thermopylae: were that Miller's work was as faithful to history.
300 will be popular, I have a hard time seeing it being a flop. It is not, after all, a presentation of an historically significant and epic battle, but a fantastical bloodfest inspired by an actual event. If you care about historicity, do not see 300. If you just want a blood filled slaughterfest, by all means... But I will dream that someone will get the idea to do an historical series along the lines of Rome, maybe calling it Peloponnesia and having it span from the Greco-Persian war to the Peloponnesian War. One can dream anyway...
I know I am in the minority on this, as I am about sexual content and storytelling, but history matters to me. The Spartans wore skirts and breast plates into war. Spartans buggered boys same as the Athenians. The Thespians stood with the Spartans in battle, though some tried to surrender as the Persian Immortals closed ranks. The Spartans and Thespians were acting to cover the retreat of the larger Greek army. Spartans were concerned about the freedom to be Spartans - they did a good job latter on at suppressing all the rest of Greece. The Persians did not have vapiric looking creatures in their service. Xerxes looks like some sort of Stargate version of an effeminate Egyptian Pharaoh. The Persians of the film seem more like the hoardes of Mordor.
But hey... if you like escapism, this is your film. Ignore me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still looking forward to it, despite the historical inaccuracies. I've heard it said that the movie is the "opera version" of the battle, as well as "the way it would have been told around a campfire." So the good guys are braver and nobler, the bad guys more evil and deformed.

We'll see. I suspect it'll be in Dawson in a week or two.

14 March, 2007 15:35  
Blogger Magnus said...

Your dough, but I'd say see Breach or Zodiac instead.

15 March, 2007 16:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home