Thursday, February 01, 2007

True Perversion

CD in Play: Mojo presents Psych Out!

So I am still getting over my bought of food poisoning from Sunday. Much better on many levels, a bit less blood in the eyes, my voice isn't fading out, my colour is returning to normal and I can eat solids once again. One thing thoug is that my taste buds are a bit dodgy. I seem to only really be able to taste and appreciate sugar and salt.
Perhaps I am still deficient in these things? Overall, the taste in my mouth is bland and I have been sucking on Ricola to get some flavour back into my mouth. Things have just tatsed off since Sunday. Although, someone just came by with some watermelon and I seem to actually taste that as watermelon, so maybe things are improving as I write.
Some overt food smells still make me a bit queasy. A case in point would be the mini-quiche they were serving as a part of a conference at work today. The smell just made me a bit unsteady. Someone walked by with a sub from Subway and the smell also had me wrinkling my nose. Nothing too unusual about that. What is really perverse is that the thought of salad makes me very queasy.
In addition to the vegetarian dumplings that made me ill, I also had a salad I brought from home. I have a box of salad in my fridge that is just sitting there (and is no approaching the inedible state) because I can't stomach the site of it. Not a good thing for a man trying to alter his diet and loose weight. Fortunately, the sight of the brocoli and - oddly - the head of white cabbage in my fridge don't bother me.
The first time I experienced major food poisoning was when I was six eating at the Red Dragon in Port Coquitlam. Typical Canadian-Chinese crap. My parents ordered egg-foo-yeung and it made me very sick. I couldn't eat Chinese food again until 1980. By then Chinese food in restaurants had started to become more authentic. Later in 1976 we were travelling down to San Francisco and stopped off at a Taco Bell. I puked up right on the front door as we were leaving - I have never thought about eating at a Taco Bell since. Hopefully, this won't be the case with salad.

4 Comments:

Blogger Geosomin said...

It's wierd how food poisoning changes your desire to eat for a while. Last fall I had some dodgy spring rolls at the Fringe festival and was quite riotously ill. I still feel a bit leery eating a spring roll now and it took about a year before I even wanted to...shame really as I like them a lot. I can still recall when Dominos gave me food poisoning and then offered me free pizza to apologise. Oddly enough I never took them up on their offer...especially as it was the only time I'd ever ordered from them.
When I'm queasy I just eat lots of oatmeal. It's yummy and good for you (expecially with lots of brown sugar). Yoghurt is good too - it'll help restore your stomach cultures too.
I'm surprised your Dad never got sick on that wierd fermented cabbage diet he was on a while back...

02 February, 2007 07:38  
Blogger Magnus said...

This is what the BC Health Guide posted as a suggestion for recovery:
You treat staph food poisoning by managing any complications until it passes. Dehydration caused by diarrhea and vomiting is the most common complication. Do not use medicines, including antibiotics and other treatments, unless your health professional recommends them.

To prevent dehydration, take frequent sips of a rehydration drink (such as Lytren, Gastrolyte or Pedialyte). Try to drink a cup of water or rehydration drink for each large, loose stool you have. Sports drinks, soda pop, and fruit juice contain too much sugar and not enough of the important electrolytes that are lost during diarrhea and should only be taken alternately with a rehydration drink.

When you feel well enough, begin eating mild, low-fat foods, such as bananas, rice, applesauce, or dry toast or crackers. This is called the BRAT diet. Avoid spicy foods, other fruits, alcohol, and coffee for 2 days and dairy products for 3 days after all symptoms have disappeared. "

I started with yoghurt yesterday, but it is a regular part of my diet anyhow, as is porridge.
My Dad apparently never wanted to do the fermented cabbage thing, it was one of his wife's ideas. She was reading about it in some book. He had figured that if he mentioned it to me with out going into detail that I would rush out and do his research for him.

02 February, 2007 19:45  
Blogger Geosomin said...

For some reason all I have in my head is HOmer and Bart singing:

You Can't make friends with SALAD!
You Can't make friends with SALAD!

06 February, 2007 19:20  
Blogger Magnus said...

As I said to co-workers last week and Elijah this weekend - it all comes back to the Simpsons in the end.

06 February, 2007 22:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home