Tuesday, October 10, 2006

R.I.P. Anna Politkovskaya

Anna who you ask? Anna Politkovskaya was a Russian journalist best known for her coverage of the war in Chechnya. I wish I could say I knew more about her, but I know very little. I picked up her book, A Dirty War: A Russian Reporter in Chechnya, two months ago in the delete bin at Chapters in Surrey for $1.95 - but I have yet to get around to it. I mentioned the book to my Russofile friends but it raised little interest, nor was father very interested in the topic of the book. Still it seems as though Ms. Politkovskaya had the deep respect of hers peers and the European community.
She was notable in her opposition to Putin's hold on power and it is notable that Putin took the opportunity to deny the importance and influence her writing had on the politics of modern Russia. Mikhail Gorbachev's response is just another example of why I think the man is worthy of respect.
This the link to the Politkovskaya story in Wikipedia, from there you can follow the news links to assorted stories about her assasination.
http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/news/world/15723288.htm

And here is a link to various articles in The Guardian about her
http://browse.guardian.co.uk/search?search=Anna%20Politkovskaya

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And no one cares still...

11 October, 2006 21:10  
Blogger Magnus said...

That would read better if you had written, "And still, no one cares."
Attempted biting comments are much more potent when syntax, structure, etc. are in order.

12 October, 2006 00:19  
Blogger Geosomin said...

I care...

:)

12 October, 2006 10:08  
Blogger Magnus said...

What a sweetheart you are.

12 October, 2006 10:59  
Blogger Unknown said...

If only Gorbachev got back into politics.

Oh well, there's still Gary Kasparov.

I'm still trying to picture President Gary Kasparov. Putin is an odd guy, isn't he? What's his motive? Surely it isn't money. And power? Dealing with the mess he has to deal with, how's it worth it? Maybe he's convinced himself he's the only man for the job.

15 October, 2006 23:06  
Blogger Magnus said...

There's been speculation about Putin's links to organized crime.

16 October, 2006 01:48  
Blogger Unknown said...

You mean kind of a Nick of Time scenario? Mafia hitmen surrounding Putin day and night to make sure he fulfills their agenda, point by poinnt, otherwise they kill his family?

I can't imagine him being an active member of the mafia. He has too much of a sense of self-importance. Perhaps you know what I mean, just watching him talking on TV. Cheney, yes, I can see being a complete, direct member of some organization like that. There's something so irredeemably sleazy about Cheney. Perhaps it's just me and some other kooks, but there's something really off about Cheney. Isn't he known for making stuff up. The whole war in Iraq is founded on that. And he accuses his opponents with just instant lies, from what I remember. Yikes. Scary. Like the face of Death!

16 October, 2006 09:06  
Blogger Magnus said...

Cheney was in Big Business and I have always held that the line the seperates some legitimate business men from the illegitimate is pretty blurry. I had never heard the "Nick of Time" theory, but it sounds perposterous. I have a much easier time believing that Putin is bent.

16 October, 2006 10:46  
Blogger RC said...

what a nice tribute...i didn't know who she was before, and now I do...thank you.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

18 October, 2006 22:28  
Blogger Magnus said...

The impact of her death was certainly felt all through the EU, judging by the reactions and demonstrations in that area. If it weren't for Wikipedia, I am not sure I would have even have known.
Journalists in Russia seem to be facing tough times under Vladimir Putin, who does not seen to take criticism very well at all. Journalist Andrei Babitski claims to have been jailed and beaten for a month for his pro-rebel bias in covering the Chechnyan War. Television journalist, Savik Shuster, has left Russia because of the erosion of free speech that has taken place under Putin. And another journalist, who was featured on The National last night, is facinga potential trial and jail time for satirizing Putin. The new Russia indeed. Not that American and Canadian journalists aren't facing a crisis of their own.

20 October, 2006 13:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home