Monday, September 18, 2006

The Rain, It Raineth Every Day

CD in Play: Neko Case, Fox Confessor Brings the Flood.

I was initially going to entitle this post, "Hey Nonny-Nonny, I Love You" but well...

The rain has returned to the Lower Mainland of British Columbia and it is none to soon, in fact I would say it is about damned time. Everything was drenched when I got off work this morning and it made me happy. As I type at 3:08 pm there is sun breaking through and patches of blue surrounded by beautiful fluffy white and grey. The weather is temperate to cool and I can finally sleep. This summer was too hot and too sunny, it felt wrong.
There are two BC's present today: British Columbia and British California. British California is often used as a derogatory term, however it also best describes the place that many Canadians desire to be. British California is sunshine, beaches, free of snow and low precipitation. With global warming, British California has been becoming a reality. Last winter was unbelievably dry. There was a rainy spell and then only a very little bit of rain. This summer was very uncharacteristic, very hot and dry. When the sky clouded over, more often than not, it came to nothing. Talk to some people from other areas of the country and they love the transformation of BC into British California.
The Lower Mainland of British Columbia is a temperate place, in fact we have built up over top areas that had been temperate rain forrest and wetlands. As a kid growing up out here, it rained a lot. When tourists think of BC they think about sun-filled scenes of postcard beauty and huge images spread across the pages of coffee table books. And British Columbia is certainly all that, but it it is so much more. Some seem to forget that what keeps the "Beautiful British Columbia" of the tourism ads and travel brochures beautiful is rain... and lots of it.
Periodically, I talk to people who were born here in the Lower Mainland - and we seem to be increasingly rare as other Canadians migrate here in the search for some kind of Shangrala - and we often agree: we miss the old, throughly drenched British Columbia. Rain is an old friend who doesn't come around much anymore and is sorely missed.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah. Right. Rain.

Have you looked at your clustrmap lately? Lots of odd places and more people read this than you might thunk.

18 September, 2006 16:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh we got rain here let me tell you.

Yeah...so I can't post any comments unles I do it this way. What gives. Tomes of boundless knowledge have been imparted to the digital winds...*sigh*

19 September, 2006 09:11  
Blogger Magnus said...

Trent - I miss snow too and was hoping to be up there this year. We need a long and intensely cold winter to kill off all those pine beetles.
As for the map, yeah tonnes of people from some surprising areas. Is that Darfur, Sudan?

Heather - um, I am not following you.

19 September, 2006 17:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep forgetting my posts as geosomin won't be accepted and I type long drawn out blathering opinions and then send them off to never be seen again...sigh.
It's so rare tha tI"m eloquent enough to say anything...and then it's gone forever and I"m too miffed to retype it.
Plus I can't type worth anything so the posts I do send make no sense...that last one didn't really did it?

19 September, 2006 20:01  
Blogger Magnus said...

Erm.... noooo...

20 September, 2006 11:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home