Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Massacre Town

CDs in Play: Neko Case, Fox Confessor Brings The Flood. Mojo Presents: The Roots of Bob Dylan.

*Revised, see below*

People who know me are bound to ask me about the recent school shooting spree in Montreal, (my favouite city) but I really don't have a lot to say at this point. I would have to know more to venture an opinion. It seems so senseless and meaningless and maybe that's the point.
Cologne, Columbine, Concordia, Dawson, Dunblane, École Polytechnique, Erfurt, Monash University, Osaka, Red Lake High School, Rocori High School, Sanaa, W.R. Myers High School are the noted school massacres. I'm not even going to try and list the number of spree shootings that have happened elsewhere.
It is sick and I am saddened.

In Addendum - 0120 am 15th, Septembre 2006

My friend Thoth posted on his blog that Kimveer Gill had a first person shooter called "Super Columbine Massacre RPG, which has players mimic the infamous high school killings in Columbine, Colo., the morning of April 20, 1999, through the eyes of the teenage killers." I am livid. I checked the game out, enraged that some profiteering corp was making money in such a crass and way, and it should be noted this isn't a high calbre looking game like Doom or Call of Duty, it looks very much like the Shockwave Cybermen games on the BBC's Doctor Who website. While the creator of the game states he wished to explore why such horrible things happen, to challenge society to look in the mirror, to issue a wake-up call - it was an un-bloody-believably stupid and irresponsible thing to do. There some among us who would understand his aims, mature enough to try and comprehend the sociological query that creator Danny Ledonne was trying to make - Kimveer Gill was not one of these. Kimveer Gill was an immature, petulant, self-centred pinhead who was probably incapable and unwilling to get Ledonne's point. He was anti-social - he thrived on being anti-social. He was 25 and still dressing and acting like some mopey teenage twerp. As he stated in his blog:

I hate this world I hate the people in it I hate the way people live I hate god I hate the deceivers I hate betrayers I hate religious zealots I hate everything I hate so much (I could write 1000 more lines like these, but does it really matter, does anyone even care) Look what this wretched world has done to me.

Have I ever felt that way? Yeah. Would it justify me killing a bunch of people? No. As someone in Montreal said to me, you have to kick yourself in the ass to get out of depression - if you decide to stay depressed its your problem. Gill decided to foist his depression on others. Boo hoo hoo, look at what this world has done to me. Should have tried looking in the mirror bitch.
Gavin is right, he deserves our prayers. Gill was stupid but also sad. There is something sick and rotten at the core of society, something beyond the capacity for evil in every soul, something that is driving that evil to the forefront. It will be easy to condemn the game and Danny Ledonne for making it, but there is something larger at play here. Human life has become quite cheap, but that is another post. I hope Ledonne reconsiders his query, and hope that Gill serves as that wake up call his game could never have been.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm amazed that the rest of the world is paying to this tragedy.
BTW I was born in Montreal for anyone out there who didn't know; one year after the October Crisis no less.
Beyond that I can't say anything about this tragedy. This morning I prayed for the souls of anyone who died, including the gunman that God would be merciful. About all I can do, really. Better than getting pissed off, I guess.

14 September, 2006 21:50  
Blogger Magnus said...

I went onto the vampire site Kimveer Gill frequented. I can understand the vitriol spewed against him but am saddened by that as well. The prejudice and ethnicism that has been involved sickens me as much at the shootings themselves.
I feel sad for the Gill. Sympathy for the devil perhaps. With the exception of the Dunblane massacre, which still makes me feel sick to this today whenever I think about it, I have felt some pang of sympathy for these people. To be honest, Gill in life sounded like a complete idiot - but idiots need Grace too, that's its point.
Sorry, not sure i am capable of being as coherent as I would like to be on this matter.

15 September, 2006 01:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a tragic figure, Gill is just like a character out of a Dostoevsky novel. After he rejects God, he must eventually reject humanity.

15 September, 2006 08:29  
Blogger RC said...

isn't it odd when ppl. want to know you will react when, there's no comments.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

15 September, 2006 14:13  
Blogger Magnus said...

I'm not sure I follow? I know Trent, Thoth and Pete would ask so I was just heading them off at the pass.

16 September, 2006 02:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home