Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Old Poems

CD in Play: Steve Reich, Music for 18 Musicians.

I've been rumaging around trying to find my notes and assorted writings. I found some old poems, so I figured I would post them. I have written some other poems in the last few years but never seem to be able to find them. 1996 was a very productive year for me artistically and it all began to go downhill after that. 1997 was a good year from writing though. Copyright applies to all of this, this is the intellectual property of Magnus Skallagrimsson and all associated personnas connected therein.

Make it Personal

Take me out of myself
place it in a barrel
squish it
and
pulp it
seal it up
and age it
let it liquor
and ferment
as I rest
in the empty place
the moment of clarity

empty the barrel out
and fire it
through the metal
burned
until refined
distillation
distilled
drink me into me
drunk on myself
I course through my fingers
into the pen
and onto the page.

- March 1997

The next poem was an assignment for a class. We drew a name out of a hat and had to write a poem about the person whose name we drew. I drew a guy named James. I didn't know James at all really, so I put myself in a position where I had toimagine he was a close friend. I believe James was a Religious Studies student. It could have been worse, though, as Sarah Dalton was in the class. I had been head over heels for Sarah, but it was not to be and I was still in the midst of forcing myself to get over it. We remained friends and I still have the highest respect for her. Maybe I'll include some of the poems I wrote abouther another time. Visually this poem has quite a different look, but blogger forces it to conform.

For My Brother to Keep Me (for James)

Find me brother
in the deep darkness past Sheol
(FOR THE LORD GOD IS ONE)
quid pro quo for those lashes
taken from us, transfigured beyond the Mystery's full telling.
Grasp me into the centripetal Supralogical now dying
via the centrifugal Enlightened Reason of dead s(aints)
(for it is in the will of men)
whose mind's hearts were taken
from them to fuel the killing fields of schooling.

Find me brother
I have lost myself in sadness
(AND JESUS WEPT TOO)
as praxis becomes a disassociated dream
and my dreaming becomes my only way to be.

- March 1997

Not sure what I think of this stuff anymore. I'd like to think that I have improved, but writing has become a hard thing for me, especially poetry. There are two, maybe some more to come - definitely more if I can ever find the rest of my haiku.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Quite good, Magnus! I like the more religious one, personally!

15 March, 2006 07:52  
Blogger Geosomin said...

I think the first one is brilliant.
I like things that invoke emotions in me.

17 March, 2006 12:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whenever I have shown these to people or read them out, the poem for James gets a great respose. Even some people adverse to religion like it. The first poem is a favourite of mine as well.

17 March, 2006 20:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home