Monday, January 09, 2006

The Slothful Blogger

Current attire: Shorts, brand new black, military sweater that is a lot like my old one.

Current mood: Hell if I know. I am sort of just here. Not bad, not great - I just am.

Current music/musical obsession: A thirty second loop of Kevin Ayers' "Song from the Botton of a Well", from the 1971 release Whatshebringswesing. I heard Ayers' song "Clarence in Wonderland" and that made me curious about his music. While I have only heard 30 second snippets of his work, I am very impressed with his early catalogue. Really odd stuff. As one critic put it, "Like Syd Barrett (ex-Pink Floyd) without the madness." Ayers used to be with The Soft Machine, whose first two albums I need to pick up sometime as well.

Current favourite word: I love the sound of "alabaster".

Current book: Re-reading Man in the High Tower (Dick) and Le Guin's A Wizard of Earthsea.

Current culinary obsession: Still Korean. I received a book on how to make kimchi fro Christmas, so look out!

Currently speaking, films I am interested in seeing: Syriana, Goodnight and Good Luck and I am curious about Manderlay.
Saw Munich twice and liked it much better than my friend, film critic Peter Chattaway. I find the controversy over Munich's historicity amusing, given Hollywood's free-wheeling ways and penchant for tweaking historical facts. Frankly, only the zealots on either side could find this film offensive. I think the most important thing being overlooked is that Spielberg, imho, is using Jonas' book as a vehicle to open up the questions about what what it means to be a Jew and to what extent is Israel's course of action erroding to their identity as Jews. The films critical arguments come from Robert, Avner's mother and Avner himself during his encouter with Efriam at the end of the film. I won't give it away - see it for yourself and make up your own mind.

Current refreshment: H20

Current worry: Same stuff - finances, schooling, etc.

Current thought: Thinking is for the weak. Only the stupid shall survive.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bah!
Kimchee...you should have a granola bar.

11 January, 2006 15:09  
Blogger Magnus said...

I live in the West Coast - I am surrounded by granola.

12 January, 2006 17:15  
Blogger Geosomin said...

I live on the prairies...I am surrounded by borcht

16 January, 2006 14:54  
Blogger Magnus said...

That made me laugh out loud when I first read it and it still does up to today.

19 January, 2006 11:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home