Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Sweet Mother of Mercy!

CD in Play: Robert Fripp, Let the Power Fall

I have three days left in British Columbia. Three! Kind of intimidating, really. Still need to get out to Gavin's to drop off a couple of things and sort out some of the paintings that he and his family were kind enough to store for me. Still need to spend some time with Pete Chattaway before I leave. Still need to have dinner with my Mum and her husband. Still need to repack a couple of things for that matter, as I am not sure if my Dad is getting the canopy or not.
Things I really wanted to do but was unable to were things like spending some time on Mount Seymour and Cypress Bowl. I wanted to spend some time at Pitt Lake and walk around the Pitt Polder. I wanted to get to Siwash Rock and some of the great secluded beach areas around Vancouver. Then I wanted to eat at Gusto di Quattro. I wanted to eat dim sum at the Flamingo and I wanted quality sushi. Always the holidays I guess.
In three days I am off to Saskatoon. Some people seem to think it will be about slacking for the next couple of weeks. Given that I never get holidays, that would be tempting. But I need to find a place to live, get a job, phone service. Apparently, vacancy rates around Saskatoon are sitting at 0.6%. That's according to the University of Saskatchewan's Student Association. Judging by the adds it seems to be slim pickin's around town, but Geo seems to feel that it isn't quite as bad as it looks.
Whatever, things will work out in some way or the other.

9 Comments:

Blogger MaCanuck said...

If you got a car, you could always live outside of town. Martinsville, perhaps. Or if you didn't mind a bit of a drive, Rosthern.

03 June, 2008 12:25  
Blogger Magnus said...

Why don't I just live in Waldheim for that matter?

03 June, 2008 15:40  
Blogger Geosomin said...

It's a bit of a drive in from Martensville or Warman...about 10 minutes. Which seems like a long way for me, but maybe after Vancouver it's nothing at all...I don't know. It's just as good for finding apartments and such here as there, so why not stay where there's a transit system I figure.

I've told my cats they can't watch you while you sleep...Geek seemed like he understood but the other just rolled his syes and licked his butt...so I'm not sure how this will go :)

I'm trying to get to the front yard before you come so you don't see how we really live :)

03 June, 2008 16:17  
Blogger Geosomin said...

Eat sushi while you can...it's rare out here.
There is great bubble tea though.

03 June, 2008 16:17  
Blogger Magnus said...

So long as the inside isn't encrusted in filth, we'll get along fine.
As for the Lower Mainlander's perception of commuting, a ten minute commute is the impossible dream for most. My commute to work by Transit (bus and Skytrain)is around 40 minutes and and back is around 45. By vehicle on a holiday it was 20-25 minutes in the morning and then 30-40 minutes in the afternoon. The was traveling West to East, mind you. Make that commute East to West and the time spent commuting increases dramatically. (say 45 minutes there and 1.25 to 1.50 hrs back)

03 June, 2008 18:38  
Blogger Magnus said...

Sushi. My Dad wants to go for Szechuan tonight (you and J went with me the night of your arrival) but I had it last weekend. Unfortunately, my two favourite places have ceased to be. Ichibankan became a Saki Bar and Kitto is closed for renovations. Hi Dozo in New West has new owners. My Dad's wife likes cheaper places but I figure one should just say no to parasites.

03 June, 2008 18:43  
Blogger Peter T Chattaway said...

Ten minutes. Wow.

It takes me ten minutes (well, last time, nine) to walk to the nearest SkyTrain station. And then I have the 30- to 40-minute ride to look forward to. Followed by about ten more minutes as I walk from the station to the theatre (or wherever). But thanks to the heavy traffic (especially on and near the bridges) and the expensive parking (especially downtown), it's all quicker and cheaper than actually driving into town.

Ten minutes. Wow.

04 June, 2008 00:21  
Blogger Geosomin said...

Yeah...you'll find it takes a bit of adjusting time wise...it took my brother about six months before he stopped leaving half an hour early for things. With a few odd exceptions, even in rush hour, you can get across the city in 30 minutes...by bus longer, but still. I have no complaints.
Hell, I can *walk* to work in 35 minutes...

05 June, 2008 08:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So one day left?

Bring in the cat and listen to the sounds of the rain...:)

06 June, 2008 14:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home