Saturday, July 08, 2006

Shooting Elephants

CDs in Play: Clutch, eponymous.

I have been re-reading the essays of George Orwell (the pseudonym of Eric Arthur Blair) of late, Shooting an Elephant in particular. I was struck by how much it reminded me of my own job. As I stated in another post, my job really is the frontline in the war against the empovershed. My job is to ensure that the empoversheds' condition doesn't touch/upset the people who frequent the mall. Blair had been a police officer in Burma, whose main job was really to keep the conquered peoples in their places.
Like Blair, I have come to despise both the objective of my job and the people I must target. Blair states at the end of his essay that he shot the elephant not because it was the right thing to do, but because he didn't want to look a fool - and I truly understand what he means. I find myself doing things now simply to establish myself as someone not to screw around with. I discovered that certain people have been trying to take advantage of my good nature, considering me a soft touch due to the kindness I have extended to certain individuals onsite. The word is out that I am "soft" so I have to counter this by being strict. In the past two days I have been "shooting" my own sort of "elephants", banning people and literally removing and hounding them from sight. No chances, no mercy, no considerations.
Reading through some of the other essays again, I have continued being struck by the similarities between E.A. Blair and myself. (Aside from the fact that Blair was a much better writer than myself) Anyhow, I have small, impatient six (nearly seven) year old boy who wishes to watch Rupert on the only DVD player in this house, which is on this same computer.

Was Sergio Leone in Town last night?

Twin midgets. I saw identical twin midgets last night. They were dressed exactly the same. They were hot. They didn't have the characteristic faces of midgets. Aside from being around 3'10", they looked pretty normal from the waist up. They really were quite attractive. That is all I have to say on the subject.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill . . .
Bill . . .
Bill . . .
I'm talking to you, Bill . . .

08 July, 2006 19:03  
Blogger Magnus said...

Don't you have some differential equations or 3 dimensional algebra to do or something like that?

09 July, 2006 02:38  
Blogger Geosomin said...

Hot midgets huh? AND twins.
You're putting images in my head and I CAN'T GET THEM OUT!

I think you're a cool guy...not soft. I prefer to think of it as a soft caramel centre.

11 July, 2006 09:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home