Thursday, June 29, 2006

Brightening Up the Corners

CD in Play: Pavement, Terror Twilight.

So one bright spot is that my driver's license is no longer an issue. No, I didn't just find the money, rob someone or go into debt someplace else. No, my Father, Mother, step-father, step-brothers, step-sister, half-sister or long lost, fantastically rich old uncle didn't pay for it. It just simply went away. Okay, my Dad did do something, but he never shelled out a cent on my behalf. It might also explain my distinct lack of "coffee karma" these past couple of weeks.
For x number of years now I have been arguing with ICBC that there was a mistake made on both ends when I went to cancel my insurance. In all my conversations with ICBC they laid the onus of proof on me, but I had no idea how to proove something like that. Even the legal counsel I consulted thought I didn't stand a chance of making any headway with ICBC, other than the small amount of leeway their representatives were prepared to grant.
Anyhow, the debt had been climbing with interest owed and I was looking at around $1900.00 to get my license back. I don't have the details, but my Dad went in and talked to them explaining it was a mistake and that they were being overly stubborn and punative. They said they would review the issue and get back to my Dad with their decision. I didn't know he had done this. I called today to look at haggling down the debt and was told my account had been cleared. No details, no explanations can be given - but I apparently owe nothing. They also forgot to call my Dad, so it was news to him as well.
So many thanks to my Father and to the people at ICBC who seem to have decided to waive the debt. (Although part of me is still waiting for the catch) It is a weight off my debt loaded shoulders. Now, I just need to secure a job up North for $200 a day and pay down/off my student loans.

** All the jobs that I have been considering - even to get further ahaed where I am currently - require me to have a valid driver's license. OFA attendants need to drive. So apparently do people in Customs and Translink. (I find the last one a touch ironic)

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, but what is "coffee karma"?

30 June, 2006 00:27  
Blogger Magnus said...

I sometimes have a knack for landing free/cheap coffee. It started in 1996/97 when two friends worked at a coffee shop and never charged me. Pretty soon, no one at the shop charged me. Then it started to spread. Pretty soon I could land free coffee or cheap specialty beverages almost anywhere. Some of it came from knowing other people at other shops and having their co-workers give me special treatment - some of it was happening where I knew no one in the shop at all.
It only exists in the Vancouver area. In Montreal it was free booze.
ozuxzlhq

30 June, 2006 09:16  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So how is it "karma"? What do you do to reap these rewards? As I remember it, karmic fortune requires good efforts on a person's part. What good have you done to deserve this?

30 June, 2006 18:33  
Blogger Magnus said...

I have done nothing that I am aware of, but coffee karma has a ring to it. I also don't believe in karma per se.

Verification: oljoy

30 June, 2006 19:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A message from Internet Exploder:
RUN AWAY!

02 July, 2006 22:15  
Blogger Magnus said...

Your turn is coming.

woycjggy

03 July, 2006 01:30  
Blogger Geosomin said...

Cool...it's always nifty when life does something nice for a change isn't it? And it always restores my hope in people a little bit to know they can just be nice and say "OK, toss it then. Not a big deal". I'm glad for you. Now you can get one of those wa wa temple cars and drive around in it to your hearts delight...

03 July, 2006 08:30  
Blogger Magnus said...

Wa wa temple cars? Me thinks you have been listening to The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu just a wee bit too much?

03 July, 2006 09:03  
Blogger Geosomin said...

Oh come on...you've never had the urge to drive one of those little cars at mach speed down a road, with that silly hat on laughing maniacally?

Hmm...must just be me then...

03 July, 2006 14:15  
Blogger Magnus said...

Lady, you are cracked - CRACKED I TELLS YA!

Problem here is that I have no idea what a "wa wa temple car" is.

03 July, 2006 22:08  
Blogger Geosomin said...

Maybe I called it the wrong thing. It's the teeny cars you always see silly old guys driving in parades with the wa wa temple shriner hats on zooming in circles and giving out candy.

Tiny cars and a funny hat. What more can you ask for?

04 July, 2006 08:33  
Blogger Magnus said...

Shriners, that's what you are talking about. And they wear a hat known as a fez - like Jeff and Akbar from Life in Hell.

04 July, 2006 09:05  
Blogger Peter T Chattaway said...

Glad to hear about the cancelled debt. Whew!

08 July, 2006 20:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home