Thursday, February 16, 2006

Het Afschuwelijke, Vreselijke Leven van luie Blogger

Current attire: Shorts, old black military sweater I have since about 1998.

Current Song Stuck in My Head: "Success" from Iggy Pop's 1977 album, Lust for Life. Great album. The Sales brothers were/are an unbelievably good rhythm section. Despite what the Wikipedia link says about this album, David Bowie's influence can be heard all over Lust for Life.

Current DVD: Kolchak, the Night Stalker. I borrowed this set from Elijah. It was a television series from 1974 that lasted one season and starred Darren McGavin. Chris Carter has cited it as primary influence on The X-Files. There was an attempted remake last year but it only lasted 10 episodes.

Current desires: I really need a studio to paint in and a job to afford the materials. I feel like half a person - less than half.

Current book: Just finished re-reading Lloyd Alexander's The Book of Three. First read this when I was six years old and loved the book back then. I still carry a torch for the series of books based around the adventures of a certain Assistant Pig Keeper, talkative redhaired sorceress, furry what's-its, hapless bard and irate dwarf. Disney holds the rights to all of these books and has no intention of doing anything with them - I hope they never change their mind. Disney made a rather wretched cartoon based on The Book of Three and The Black Cauldron. (from which it received its title) As stated many times elsewhere in my blog, so much of what I loved in childhood has been butchered and mangled that I hope these books never get molested again.

Current thing I am looking forward to: Having dinner on Friday with my friend Del and his wife Krista. I knew Del from university. He lives in the Yukon and I haven't seen him in years. This will be the first time I have ever met his wife or his daughter.

Current refreshment: Japanese green tea

Current favourite vegetable: Fennel. I grilled it and then stir fried it last night and had it in a salad this evening. Delicious.

Current ideas: Been working on a couple of possible articles I could publish. One is based on my diatribes about sports and the other is based on my relationship with my baseball bat - a piece I wrote for my blog back in June 2005. Also been roughing out a few story ideas (fiction) that have been kicking around for a while.

Current Complaint: Alta Vista's Babel Fish needs a broader selection of languages to translate into.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Magnus,
Hmm, you love kimchi. So you'll love this article on it from Al Jazeera. Al Jazeera, by the way is what I use for my homepage. It is more objective than any of the crap out there - well, excepting the South China Morning Post. Every day I feel like killing myself because I don't live in Hong Kong and I don't get to read the South China Morning Post in a Starbucks, or better, some other more Hong Kong style breakfast place (and boy you need to be outside during most of the year since it is hot and sweaty and disgusting, but so so romantic) and lastly I feel like killing myself because I don't write for the South China Morning Post which is the greatest newspaper in the world. It is gold to me. I don't know how they manage to be critical of the Chinese government and yet they are. After all, Hong Kong is part of the Special Administrative Region. Magnus, before you decide to live anywhere else (and I want to visit many places), visit Hong Kong, for three days or so. Believe me, you must, or else you will be kicking yourself and then amputating yourself at the hip! I still have yet to convince my Taiwanese belle to travel about with me. Even getting her into the idea of living in Hong Kong with me - well, that will be a hard nut to crack. But I will try. I really have ambitions and she is smart...actually she is smarter than I am. No one should waste their talent. Which brings me to you, Magnus. Do something, anything: to get out of the rut you're in in the Vancuum. Teach English in Korea, for goodness sakes. I know that there are a lot of very questionable employees there, but just be smart and be careful. You're not getting any younger (are any of us?...gosh! when I think about it!). And pay off your debts in one year or so. And do it quickly, at the drop of a hat - quite literally. I did that. It gets harder to do as you get older. But you have so much, so much much more to offer the world, to all of us and all of them. Don't end up drifting in mind, body, and spirit. Everything will be sad if you do. It is a collective responsiblity.

Anyway, I've left you hanging after I veered away from my original subject, namely kimchi. Here's your link:

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/E62312D2-B56E-4B96-9140-8313420C9A34.htm

17 February, 2006 11:11  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, Magnus. You are the same zodiac year as my girlfriend. And this is the year of the dog.

19 February, 2006 01:21  
Blogger Magnus said...

Arf! Not sure how to translate that into a Chinese dialect.

19 February, 2006 01:26  
Blogger Geosomin said...

Eu não penso que você é preguiçoso

I"m the year of the ox I think. Not terribly flattering...

20 February, 2006 13:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Eu não penso que você é preguiçoso" - "I do not think you he is sluggish"? Looks like Portuguese to me. Interesting, but huh?
As for you being an Ox, I could sort of see it - slow and steady, even tempered, though potentially dangerous if riled.
Dog fits me, though it all works off of vast generalisations.

20 February, 2006 18:38  
Blogger Geosomin said...

Indeed - I do not think you he is sluggish...It was supposed to mean that I don't think you are lazy (In response to your title, which I translated). I couldn't get it into welsh tho, so portugese had to do...I used Babelfish so I don't know how well it worked. Apperently not so well!

21 February, 2006 07:36  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you have to remeber that sentence structure changes in any given language as I learned from Dr. Block - or George, George Block, George Issac Block... George in the Greek... (I must have told you that story at some point)
Consider the following sentence:
"We sat by the fire, roasting marshmallows"
In Greek the sentence structure could look like:
"Sat by the fire we, roasting marshmellows."
Or
"Roasting marshmallows, by the fire we sat."

Edit an ESL students paper sometime, it is interesting.

21 February, 2006 09:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home