Saturday, August 20, 2005

The Dog Days of Summer

CD in Play: Isis - Oceanic.

Over the past month I have been looking after a large dog named Pancho. He' a cross between a Bernese Mountain Dog and a Bloodhound, with a little German Shepherd thrown into the mix. He's a really good looking dog. Been a while since I had to take care of a dog. The last dog I owned was a Beagle named Luke and that was back in 1981. My Mom got rid of him while I was away on vacation.
I had been thinking about getting a dog for some time now. Figured when I am in a position to buy some property I would get a big dog. (with a few exceptions, I dislike small dogs) Probably still will, but I have a better idea what it takes to keep and animal like this.
Pancho, who is currently sleeping at my feet, likes to be walked at least three times a day. Not always possible and it would be better if he had a larger yard to roam around in with a higher fence in the front. He really needs more room to move around. He's domineering and territorial with other dogs, so I have to make sure they can't get at each other. Sometimes he's domineering with me so I push him down and simulate a dogs mouth with my hand and hold him down by his throat to remind him that I am the alpha male, not him. Have to be careful playing games with him, sometimes he forgets the stick and goes for the hand. He also doesn't play fetch per se, more like keep away. YOU have to retrieve the stick, from his snarling jaws.
Not that he is a vicious dog by any stretch, but he can be aggressive. However, Pancho's a slut for attention. He looks for any excuse to be petted and scratched, especially his haunches. He happily submits to people who want to pet and scratch him. He rally reacts to Scooby-Doo impersonations, gets really excited.
Hates his dry food and is always angling to get at either my food or the cats. I cook with a lot of onion and garlic though, which is bad for dogs. Still I manage to slip some buffalo into his dish when he isn't around.
There Trent, there is your fluff piece. Happy?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Dog days are over. We're into the Cat nights, now.

Actually, they're almost over, too.

22 August, 2005 17:34  
Blogger Magnus said...

Soon it will be the hampster mornings of autumn.

23 August, 2005 01:22  
Blogger Magnus said...

Speaking of the Cat Nights, I am house sitting for Elijah and Miriam. They have two cats.

29 August, 2005 19:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home