Sunday, July 12, 2009

Songs: My Top Ten All-Time Favourites.

I made this list as I was listening to my iPod and thinking about songs I never get tired of. The guidelines I set for myself is that they have to be more than a decade old for me. That means it can't be something from the `60's that I only just discovered. I have to have heard the song prior to the year 2000 and it has to be something I keep going back to again and again - on ethat I don't tend to skip over. The songs are in no particular order, that would be too hard for to organize and judge.

1. The Tragically Hip: "Grace Too"
2. Elvis Costello: "Beyond Belief"
3. Pavement: "Texas Never Whispers"
4. Charles Mingus: "Haitian Fight Song"
5. Black Sabbath: "Black Sabbath"
6. U2: "Out of Control"
7. The Kinks: "Autumn Almanac"
8. The Beatles: "Only a Northern Song"
9. The Rolling Stones: "Gimme Shelter"
10. King Crimson: "Red"

Runner-Ups: Sugar, "Gift". Robert Fripp, "Easter Sunday". The Pixies, "All Over the World". Dinosaur Jr., "Littel Furry Things". Al Green, "You Ought to Be With Me". Tortoise, "Djed". Wilco, "Outta Mind (Outta Sight)" - key to me getting over a women back in 1996. Tricky and Martina Toppley-Bird, "Children's Story". These are just a few of the many soings that I keep coming back to.
In some case I come back to bands or performers (or specific albums by) over and over in general. Some of these are: PJ Harvey, Björk, John Coltrane, Sonic Youth, The Who, Dave Brubeck, Public Enemy, DJ Spooky.
I may have to look at how this list canges in the next decade, say take stock in 2014 and again in 2019.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home