Monday, June 01, 2009

Sas - ka - toon, it's a hell of a town...

CDs in Play: Mastodon, Crack the Skye. Isis, Wavering Radiant. The Flaming Lips, Zaireeka (Disc 1)

I have washed my hands three times and they still smell like pepper, onions and wine.

Why did I move to Saskatoon? This is a question that has been posed to me a number of times (usually quite incredulously) by the locals. I have my stock replies: better opportunities, no Olympics and nothing even resembling the massive social problems faced by the Lower Mainland at this time. But what I don't often tell people is that I felt compelled to move here.
For a while now I have had Saskatchewan in my thoughts. Even when I was in Montreal - a place I was quite happy to be in - a little voice in my head would tell me that I would live here again. (I had lived in the southern portion of the province in the early 90's for about 18 months)
Even before I had really re-established contact with Geosomin, met her husband J, I had this small voice whispering to me, telling me that I would be in Saskatchewan again. I looked for chances to move here a number of times, but the timing was never right. In the summer and autumn of 2007 I was looking at Halifax, Fredericton, Ottawa, Nunavut, Calgary and Victoria (Montreal, but my French is still poor) but none of them were presenting options - not like Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
So here I am with my own place, a job in the Health Region and now a chance to maybe get published and make some headway with the various stories that have been swirling around in my head. Theo at Unreal City hosted a launch party for Vehicle magazine based out Calgary, Alberta. Run by Black Sheep Studios, the magazine wants to offer a chance to writers and artists to get their stuff published and get some exposure.
As it turns out, the guy who manages the writing end of the magazine is the son of one of the woman I know from the Health Region. We got to talking and he was interested in what I have to offer. I am putting something together and plan to send it to him for feedback.

3 Comments:

Blogger Magnus said...

Six times I have washed my hands and they still smell of onions, pepper and wine.

02 June, 2009 06:43  
Blogger Unknown said...

Soylent Green is people!

03 June, 2009 12:59  
Anonymous Geo said...

Wear more hand lotion.
YOu're drying it out with all the solvents and crap at work...or jsut drink more wine :)

04 June, 2009 09:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home