Saturday, January 31, 2009

Head Scratching Facts

iPodery: Sly and the Family Stone

It has been an interesting week, though very busy. I have learned two things about Saskatchewan this week that have me scratching my head.

Thing Number 1: I am at the university working on a silkscreen print. They have a stereo in the main office and it plays the radio. The station changes from time to time. They often play CBC Radio 2 or one of the satalite stations. However, from time to time, the play Magic 95 (correctly dubbed by J and Geo as "Secretary FM") or Rock 102, the "heavy" station. (for Vancouverites, think CFOX) Magic 95 is often played in the lab and at my older job at the perogie place. They play all the songs from the 80's and 90's I was trying so hard to forget. Magic 95 loves to play lots of Robert Palmer and really loves to play Gowan.
Lawrence Gowan is a Canadian musician (born in Glasgow, Scotland) who is currently fronting the reunited Styx. He is also best known in this country for his hits, "(You're a) Strange Animal", "Moonlight Desires" and the rather overly theatrical "Criminal Mind". In the 90's he moved into the adult contemporary set. Anyways, I hadn't heard Gowan's music in years and, no offence to the man himself, I was quite happy about that fact.
Since moving to Saskatoon in June 2008, I swear I have heard Gowan almost as much as I heard him between 1985 and 1987. They are Gowan mad here, I swear. Tonight on Rock 102 (I was packing up and had the ear pods for my iPod out) the DJ was pushing hard for some local heavy, any local heavy band to to a bone crushing version of "Criminal Mind". This really does not need to happen. It doesn't. Honestly. As long as Saskatoon exists, Larry Gowan will not be hurting for royalties. It would be almost criminal, one might say. The Kinks or Big Star would be a good band to cover. (covered well that is) Or hey, just work on your craft, stop listening to commercial radio and start writing better more original music. Neurosis, Isis or Pelican would be fantastic heavy bone crushing bands to listen to.

Thing Number 2: Another fact about Saskatchewan that has me scratching my head in disbelief is that professional boxing is apparently illegal here. There is amateur boxing clubs to be sure, but pro boxing is illegal. However, you can have professional cage mages and UFC, "tough man" competitions in the province. This is according to some boxing fans I met at one of the hospitals. I have been trying to find something online to back it up but so far nothing. However, these guys are into boxing and I would assume they would know. If true, it makes utterly no sense to me, since professional boxing (whatever you may say about being fixed) is regulated and has a strict set of rules.

Anyhow, I have to get going home. I have another print to work on and I have yet to have something to eat.

12 Comments:

Blogger Peter T Chattaway said...

Gowan has a first name?

They play him fairly often on Jack here in Vancouver, too. In fact, a lot of the people I used to hear on CFOX in the '90s are now on Jack. Are you thinking old CFOX or current CFOX when you mention CFOX?

31 January, 2009 21:19  
Blogger Magnus said...

New CFOX. Maybe Magic 95 is one of Jerk... er, Jack FM's affiliates. Mind you, Jack FM is Jack FM from Victoria to Toronto. Whatever, I was subjected to Jerk FM often enough in Vancouver and never heard Gowan once.
My preference here is CFCR when I can pick it up and for CBC Radio2, Laurie Brown's "Signal" especially.

01 February, 2009 12:32  
Blogger Geosomin said...

I had a thing for Gowan as a kid. Still think he is OK. Doesn't mean I need to hear him now tho. The thing is, secretaryFM plays stuff that we all (OK all we women)listened to in high school, because most people who listen to commercial radio do not listen to any new music. They stick to the old stuff they heard last on the radio...it's annoying. It's a little bubble of ass music trapped in time...

I think the whole boxing ban involves liquor somehow...

02 February, 2009 08:29  
Blogger Peter T Chattaway said...

Heh. I think you meant "a little bubble of ass-music". But what I read, at first, was "a little bubble-of-ass music". I like bubbles of ass.

02 February, 2009 09:27  
Blogger Magnus said...

What, they don't serve booze at cage matches? They serve it at things like Cruefest and Vans Warped Tour, which is a worse idea in my mind. Hell, booze and hockey or football are a bad idea.

02 February, 2009 14:28  
Blogger Geosomin said...

No booze with strippers. No booze with hard core fighting. That sort of thing...makes no sense to me either.
It's leftover from the stauncher religious times. Saskatoon was started as a temperance colony way back when...old habits die hard. Nobody wants a place "like that" at a place near them.

03 February, 2009 10:50  
Blogger Geosomin said...

bubble bubble

03 February, 2009 10:51  
Blogger Peter T Chattaway said...

Toil and trouble. Tee hee.

03 February, 2009 11:08  
Blogger Magnus said...

They still had boxing during Prohibition in the States.

03 February, 2009 16:04  
Blogger Geosomin said...

Yes, but you're talking like a rational person...:)

04 February, 2009 07:46  
Blogger Geosomin said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

04 February, 2009 07:46  
Blogger Magnus said...

Ok, well how about "But what about the children!"

04 February, 2009 13:02  

Post a Comment

<< Home