Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Write, Writer, Writerly, Writing, Writingly, Riiight...

CD in Play: Elvis Costello, Girls Girls Girls.

I have had a couple of ideas for books, one is a time travel story and the other is an alternate realities story. After telling my ideas to Gavin, he suggested that I start reading Philip K. Dick's work. I have read Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said, Man in the High Castle and just finished Ubik earlier this week. (I have just started in on Maze of Death and just finished re-reading Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) Interesting books all of them, leaving me feel like a bit of a rank amatuer.
My ideas definitely need to be refined and narrowed in scope. If I were to try and write a book based on the ideas I have now they would both probably be as voluminous Goethe's Faust. The most concise idea I have is for a Dalek short along the lines of the satirical shorts that Space has aired for the Klingon language school (very funny) and Aliens. (not so funny) Gavin bought the first three Dr. Who serials as well as The Green Death on DVD, which include satirical shorts such as The Kidnappers, (very funny) and Global Conspiracy! A Dalek sketch would be costly and Space doesn't run Dr. Who.
There is a stong impulse in my Mom's family to write, an impulse not unlike a salmon's impulse to spawn. None of us have been all that successful, though my Aunty Eleanor has downplayed her own abilities to me in correspondence. We'll see where it goes, if it goes anywhere.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris Knight said...

Hey dude, I made a permanent link to your blog from mine. I do it every now and then if/when a commenter to my own has what I think is an interesting blog, and yours way qualifies. So, enjoy!! :-)

13 May, 2006 12:53  
Blogger Magnus said...

Thanks. I don't understand html at all so I have a friend who graciously does it all for me, because he understands all that kind of stuff. I'll drop him a line and see if he has time to add yours as well.

13 May, 2006 12:56  

Post a Comment

<< Home