Wednesday, May 03, 2006

People in the Neighbourhood

CD in Play: Johnny Cash, The Man Comes Around.

Anyone remember this guy? I have a vaugue memory of him on Seasame Street, but cannot remember him completely. Wikipedia lists him as Same Sound Brown. SSB may have come in just as I was getting too old to watch, but something about him strikes me. I worked all weekend, including one 15 hour stretch, so I am still trying to get back into a right frame of mind. Something about this picture made me laugh hard upon seeing it. As did some of these others, including Don Music, The Two Headed Monster and the Yip-Yips. (oh and the those other two, whomever they were)
I also discovered Muppet Wiki, which acts like an online encyclopaedia for all of Jim Henson's creations and collaborators. Actually, It is quite educational. Check the entry for Anything Muppets, for instance.













Quite clearly, the Cookie Monster was someone with severe impulse control issues. The show toned down Cookie's tendency to eat just about anything and Kermit's harsh reaction to him. I happened to catch Cookie Monster on PBS talking about how "cookies only sometime food". I appreciate that the Children's Television Workshop is trying help combat childhood obesity in its own way, but it does kind of kill the point to the character. Perhaps they should have made more the way he was - a mildly scary, infantile monster who eats anything... because he is a monster.

5 Comments:

Blogger Geosomin said...

18 hours..whew.
OH man...you made my day.
I completely remember Same Sound Sam, and the yip yip guys...their phone ringing imitation made me collapse with giggles as a kid (probably would now too). Muppet wiki is going to take up oodles of my time now...
My favorite character was supergrover and the grover waiter sketches...and the tweedlebug family...and the Rebel L song...and kermit, especially when he was reporting the new (Little Miss Muffet, sat on her tuffet, eating her crunchy granola). My nickname was kermit as a kid. Man, I am waxing nostalgic...I loved Sesame street and the Muppet Show. I'm waiting for the Muppet Show on DVD so I can geek out all over the place.

04 May, 2006 09:11  
Blogger Magnus said...

The victim of grover as waiter is named "Fat Blue", by the way.

04 May, 2006 11:33  
Blogger RC said...

how fun thanks for the lovely reminders of childhood!

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

05 May, 2006 11:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the Black and white photo, substitute cookie monster for Ann Coulter.

05 May, 2006 11:26  
Blogger Magnus said...

RC - No problem. Muppet wiki is pretty interesting.

Anon - Check out the wikipedia listing for Ann Coulter. The Tucker Carlson entry is interesting as well.
I posted this earlier, but see wikipedia as a sort of real world representation of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - thus my affection for referring to it.

05 May, 2006 11:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home