Saturday, May 02, 2009

Summanmutikassa (which is to say, At Random)

I do not actually speak Finnish, I just have a thing for their language.

Free Painkiller

I had a busy day today, three callbacks all relatively minor. But still, I had a brain removal last night and a full autopsy tomorrow: Not much of a weekend. However, free things always relieve the pain. After a visit to Unreal City for free comic book day (one of the advantages of being single is not having to grow up in the ways many married people are expected to) I dropped in to a nearby record store. I wanted to pick up a copy of the John Zorn, Bill Laswell and Mick Harris collaboration that combined avant-garde jazz and grindcore, Painkiller. They had a two disc set of 1994's Execution Ground. Disc two is an ambient remix of two the other tracks. I actually wanted Guts of a Virgin or Buried Secrets. Dark and disturbing, but sometimes I want that.

Sound and Vision

With apologies to David Bowie - this isn't about him. So I am watching Dirty Harry from 1971. I've seen it too many times and it has one of the most over-the-top and ridiculous vilains ever comitted to film. He's just too unbelievably evil. What I really let it run for is the soundtrack by Lalo Schifrin. I really need to pick this soundtrack up at some point. I'd recommend it to other musicians for sure - so much that can be learned from listening to it. Schifrin also worked on the soundtracks for Cool Hand Luke, Bullit, THX 1138, (whose soundtrack I cannot recall) as well as TV themes Mission: Impossible and one of the Starsky and Hutch Themes. Hmmm? I need to do a Soundtrack post at some point.
Actually, I need to get back to playing music and start a soundtrack cover band. Schifrin, John Barry, Isaac Hayes, Morricone, Mancini...

Vancouver, BC

As much as I complain about the city of my birth, I am missing it at the moment. I miss meeting with friends at familiar spots. I miss my friends' kids. I miss my parents. However, I am dealing with it and reminding myself that the Vancouver I miss is about 10 to 12 years gone.

A Case Against the Automobile

A poisonous waste of resources, it is true. Convenient and certainly fun for people like me who like to drive: but the automobile is destroying the environment and depleting valuable resources. But this isn't the case that I wanted bring against motorised vehicles. Cars and trucks continually block my line of sight. Maybe I am trying to read something across the street, something interesting is going on por a particularly attractive woman is walking by. Whatever the case may be, it is far too often that vehicles of all sorts get in my way and it must end.

2 Comments:

Blogger RC said...

you're right -- those motorized vehicles blocking signs - a pity :-)

05 May, 2009 21:18  
Blogger Magnus said...

To hell with the signs, it's the women I care about!

05 May, 2009 23:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home