Sunday, April 19, 2009

myPod

On the television: A Shot in the Dark (1964)

I recall an article in the paper a few months ago about how people were fighting off muggers and thieves rather than surrender their iPods. The police (Toronto's I believe) stated that they were surprised by the behaviour, but I cannot say that I am. A person's iPod is a terribly personal thing: in a sense, it is the very embodiment of one's own personality. But just how much can one's iPod become part of one's self?
As I was waiting for the bus earlier on, I saw someone who looked like an friend from back in the day. It wasn't said person, but I began to strike up an imaginary conversation in my head with the person I had mistaken this stranger for. I should state that I was listening to my iPod. As the conversation progressed a couple of uncomfortable memories began to surface, things that were a bit embarrassing. Without thinking I forwarded the track and began thinking about something else much more comfortable. I moved from a track I had uploaded from a Mojo sampler - and have no particular emotional or historical involvement with - to the Super Furry Animals "Alternate Route to Vulcan Street". I noted this and recalled that I have actually done this without thinking on a couple of other occasions.
Do other people use to their iPod to reprogram themselves? How did the instinct to do this develop? I have only had my iPod since last October. Has anyone else found themselves doing this?

3 Comments:

Blogger Glen McKay said...

I don't do that. Then again I only use my iPod when I'm lounging by the pool so I don't wear it much. In my car I use CDs.

21 April, 2009 23:11  
Blogger Magnus said...

You with a car is an odd idea for me.

21 April, 2009 23:35  
Blogger Glen McKay said...

I know, before moving to Qatar I hadn't had one for 10+ years.

23 April, 2009 07:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home