Friday, January 05, 2007

Lands of Opportunity

CD in Play: Neko Case, Fox Confessor Brings the Flood

Thinking Out Loud

I have applications in to Translink to try and get a job on Skytrain as an Attendent. Interviews begin at the end of the month and, if hired on, I would be making around $22.00 an hour during probation and $25.00 an hour after that. It is looking slim as there are over 2000 applicants, but it is a job I will keep aiming for.
If I can get on soon I can look at getting back to school and then on to getting a teaching degree. I am guilty of planning for to ahead in advance, but in this case long term planning is warranted. I am getting on and need to get something going soon - I cannot work in crap jobs for the rest of my life. I plan to teach Grades 11 or 12 (preferably 12) History and/or Art. There's a shortage of people willing to teach in the Grade 11 to 12 range, so I will have options. But what are my options? More correctly, my concerns are where are my options?
The Lower Mainland is expensive, the cost of living is just too dear. I wouldn't mind teaching in in the Coquitlam area where I grew up - District 43 is one of the most progressive school district in the province. I would also teach in Langley's publicly funded Arts High School if I could get in. But I am single and life around here just ain't cheap. The 2010 Olympics are going to adversely affect us as well, no matter what its cheerleaders say. The only other areas I might consider in BC are Nelson in the Kootneys and Victoria on Vancouver Island.
As for the rest of Canada... I am picky. If I actually spoke French beyond the level of a Grade 2 student, I would happily go to either Quebec City or Montreal. C'est la vie. I would consider Halifax, but I don't know that much about it. I like the idea of being on the Atlantic Coast. Given my fetish for the Arctic, the Yukon and Nunavut are an option I would consider. However, I am not sure how long term an option they would be for me.
And then there is Saskatchewan. Yes, Saskatchewan. I lived there for a while and came to love the province. The place is more than just wheat. I'd consider Saskatoon or Regina. I like Saskatchewan, but I would miss mountains and easier access to the ocean. But the demand for high school teachers is world wide. I could look into option for the States, but much of the demand is for Math, Sciences and Spanish teachers from what I have heard. (at least for the areas I would be interested in teaching, like New York)
I am considering the UK and will be looking at it more closely as an option once I am in the programme. There is apparently a shortage of high school equivalent teachers there as well. I have been wanting to spend some time in the UK for years now. It would be a good way to the places my Mum's family came from over there. (Wales, Ireland and England) I could finally see the Isle of Man TT Races and go to Scotland. I could also easily get to the Continent and over to Scandinavia in my time off. People warn me that it is tough over there, but after my experiences in South Burnaby I think I am prepared. It's tough here depending on where you are at.
Anyhow, this my thinking "out loud" online.

2 Comments:

Blogger Geosomin said...

Yup we got more than wheat here.
Sometimes there's oats...even barley.
And the most advanced syncrotron in the world.
Come be a mad scientist. The perks are great. You get your own tessla coil and everything...

08 January, 2007 07:15  
Blogger Magnus said...

The maddness I have down pat, its just the science angle...

08 January, 2007 11:02  

Post a Comment

<< Home